1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JustDruling4Now, Jan 30, 2022.

1. JustDruling4Now

JustDruling4Now Junior Member

The car set for a month. The 12volt battery went dead. Removed battery and charged it.The car won't start. Normally when I press the power button with foot on break I hear at the back of the car relays clicking. Now there is no sound what so ever. All lights are working the car appears to come on normally but no sounds of relays working. Hybrid battery displays shows about 50% charged. But the car will not start. Engine will not engage. What might be the problem.
    TIA !

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ar you getting the 'ready' light?

do you have a voltage tester? i wouldn't trust the battery just because it powers the lights, you need a load test, free at an auto parts store

Limey Geoff likes this.
  3. JustDruling4Now

JustDruling4Now Junior Member

Battery completely charged. It is showing 12volts. It's not the battery. Thanks

Limey Geoff likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius battery is closer to 13v fully charged, but it's all about voltage getting to computers and relays when under load

your welcome

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the battery voltage on the front jump point under the hood?

If it’s at least 12 volts and after a failed start attempt the dash must be lit up with error codes. If you have the big red triangle of death the on the dash the hybrid battery may have failed.

Don’t know what year car is don’t know the miles on it and don’t know what state you live in as you never posted it in your profile.