1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not staying in electric mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spidermnmi, Dec 8, 2008.

1. spidermnmi

spidermnmi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    When I picked up my Prius in late October, it seemed to stay in electric mode from a stop fairly easily, up to 30-33 mph. 1,300 miles later, and the motor has been kicking in almost instantly. I haven't changed the amount of pressure I give the gas pedal. My commute includes a stop-and-go traffic up a mountainside, could that have anything to do with it? Also, my partner, when he drove it recently, told me he "held the car going uphill by keeping his foot on the accelerator pedal instead of the brake.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Spidey.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Staying in stealth/electric mode up to 30mph is not a good thing...it's less efficient than using the gas engine to get up to speed then backing off into stealth to maintain speed.

2) It's probably getting colder out, even in Hollywood, and the engine will run more to stay warm. Also the battery is not as efficient when cold.

3) Sounds normal.

3. spidermnmi

spidermnmi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks, Doc, for the information. I got a little nervous this weekend after I filled up the tank, took off, and was averaging 34MPG for a while. I'll try not to worry about it.

Spidey

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holding the car on a hill with the accelerator instead of the brake wastes some gas but it can't damage anything.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You will use a little more fuel in winter to overcome extra rolling resitance of wet roads and to provide heat to the cabin.