1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not sure what model car I have/diagnostic screens...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sytex, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Sytex

Sytex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I got a 2001 prius, but it didnt come with a manual, and it has a computer which will show me 2 screens, the energy monitor, and an mpg guage...

I have buttons that say map, and traffic, but when pressed it says external system not connected... Im assuming that means I lack these options... Im not totally sure though.

Is there any diagnostic screens, or anything, I heard that there are tricks with some models to get more info about your car (one was turning your headlights on and off 3 times while holding the display button in accessory mode... doesnt seem to work for this model)

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

This post kind of outlined the diagnostic information you can get.

The NAV option has a biggish dvd reader/control unit mounted under the passenger seat. If it's not there, you don't have that option, and the "not connected" message you're getting is correct. I thought the traffic button actually did something with the radio - made it seek for stations with traffic info, but I could be wrong. You can get your owner's manual the same places you would get the service manuals: online at techinfo.toyota.com or on paper from helminc.com.

I hope you'll enjoy your car!
    -Chap

3. Sytex

Sytex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks alot... I found the trick to get into it and check my 12v, so thats cool, not sure what else I can do with it, need to research more...