1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not switching to gas engine...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 06COMMUTER, May 9, 2013.

1. 06COMMUTER

06COMMUTER Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Everyone,

Today, I was driving on the street when I got the dreaded red triangle icon and the word "problem" appeared across the top of the MFD screen. I then noticed the bars on the battery screen kept lowering down to where they became purple when stopped with the transmission in D. The engine would usually start up at this point, but it didn't. I put it in B and gave it a bit of gas to force it to start up. Once I started driving again, the bars went back up, but it has happened two more times (every time the battery depletes to purple). Has anyone experienced this before? Can you tell me what it is before I have to spend money in taking it to the dealer for a diagnostic?

FYI, I do have the check engine light on, but I checked the code with an OBDII and it said I need a new catalytic converter (as of about a year ago). I doubt that's it, as it's been running fine. I replaced the 12 volt battery a few months ago with no problems. Thanks for your help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to get a Prius specific code reader to see any of the other ECU's in the car. Without a scan, and there are indeed codes stored at this point, we can only guess at what's happening. I am not sure at what point the ICE turns on to recharge the battery, but I and others do see the bars drop to purple at times, surprising in that it does not always happen in the same way every time. But you have something else going on. Also, please fill in your location info in your profile.

Also, check your oil level.

4. 06COMMUTER

06COMMUTER Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have about 185,000 miles on it. Engine oil is fine.

I don't know how to update my profile info. I'm in Southern California (San Bernardino area).

I didn't know there was a Prius-specific reader. Can you tell me where I can get one? Is there any setting on the MFD that can give you codes, etc.? I've always wondered why you can't see, for example, your coolant temperature, as in other cars, or is there a way to know that I haven't discovered?

As for the purple bars and the ICE turning on, it did always turn on at a point, usually, before it got to purple. Now, it goes to purple and the A/C continues to work even though it stays on purple and the ICE doesn't turn on. I haven't pushed it to the limit of it completely dying, though, as I don't want further problems. That's when I switch to the B setting on the transmission and give it a bit of gas to force the ICE to turn on.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You could look up Avi's Advanced Automotive in LA, he is a contributor here. If you want a reader, get the "mini VCI" on eBay. The Prius has a dozen ECUs, all Prius specific. A generic code reader will only read the engine ECU, or maybe some of the ABS codes.

No way to see anything on the MFD, that would not be Toyota's philosophy ("Just drive it"). If you want monitoring (recommended) use Torque or Prii-Dash (which both have separate forums here).

If you want to force charge the HV battery at a stop, in D, step on the brake pedal and the gas at the same time. However, at 185K, I would be curious about battery health. Certainly battery capacity is lower now.

Update your info with the links at the top of this frame.

6. 06COMMUTER

06COMMUTER Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, my error! I guess I wasn't reading the oil dipstick properly and it was low on oil. I took it in for an oil change and read it just afterward, realizing my mistake. Now that the oil level is fine, the problem went away and it is working as it should. Thank you all for your input and I hope someone else can learn from my blunder!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all's well that end's well!(y)

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As many have found out, older Prius engines burn oil more quickly. It is necessary to check the dipstick more often at higher mileage.