1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not the best way to run a free contest

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by havanese_boy, Dec 1, 2005.

1. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use google reader to view topics on this wonderful forum, but when you create free giveways and ppl enter the contest by replying to the post I get ever last reply delivered into my RSS reader.

There has to be a better way to of having free giveways. You are making your RSS feeds much less effective if you continue doing your giveways this way.

Why not use a unique email for your giveaways?

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I could argue, the contests are for those who login and participate in Priuschat. During the contests, you need to simply change your system. It only lasts a few days. (I think)

C'mon, join in and have fun. Then again...maybe I have no CLUE what your hi-tech problem entails.....I like the system, don't change it Danny.

3. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I love the contests and do not want them to go away, but I am using the RSS feed created by priuschat to keep up with all the new topics or topics that have new replies.

[​IMG]

So instead of looking at say 30 new posts/replies from the forum, I get 120+ new listings in my RSS reader, because the contests are simply posts where ppl are replying to enter the contest.

So each entry that is submitted, is picked up by the RSS feed and for anyone who uses the feed we get all the new topics (which is great), but we have to weed out 3/4 of what is fed to us because it is simply just a entry into one of the contest.

Hope that makes sense.

4. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I also use the RSS feeds and also have noticed that this contest has rendered the feed useless for the past few days. Is there any way to exclude this contest topic from the RSS feed stream?

Cheers,

- Ian

5. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not make a "Contest Forum" and then exclude that forum from the RSS feeds.

That would reduce the sticky (Pinned) posts in the main forum and clean up the RSS feed.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would definitely do that if the contests happened regularly enough. Right now they are only happening once a year (although we are in discussions with some vendors to do them monthly) so that doesn't lend itself to be it's own forum right now.

That's a good idea, though. Sorry about screwing up the RSS feeds last week.

7. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Danny for the update, with so many good forums on the Internet I have grown to rely on my RSS feeds to keep up with all the good topics here on priuschat.

I had turned off my RSS feed to priuschat last Monday but now that the contests are over I will turn it back on.

Thanks again,