1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not the most trouble-free Prius in history

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PaulTomblin, Dec 21, 2008.

1. PaulTomblin

PaulTomblin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I got my Prius this September (was on a waiting list since May), and unlike my wife's 2005, I've had some real problems:

- In the first couple of weeks, I backed into my garbage dumpster and had to replace the whole tail light assembly. Fortunately I was able to find the part on-light and instructions on this forum, so I was able to do it for around $180 instead of the $280 that the dealer quoted me.

- The first time I used the defroster in cold weather, the windshield cracked. Unfortunately the crack erupted to the surface at one point, so the dealership won't agree with me that it was installed wrong and says it's a stone hit. So it's still cracked.

- I've had a hell of a time filling it with gas. Normally I have to go really, really slowly for the first gallon or two, and then I can go normally. But yesterday, when I was filling it for the first time in sub-freezing temps, I couldn't get it to pump for more than a second without shutting off, no matter how I placed the nozzle in the tank or how lightly I squeezed the trigger. (More details in the maintenance forum /forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/16985-gas-pump-keeps-shutting-off.html)

On the other hand, I get a pretty decent 42mpg with a kayak on top, and it seems to drive well in the snow.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bummer. The windshield crack should be covered by your comprehensive insurance, so even though it's a pain, it shouldn't cost you anything.

As for refueling, that issue has been beaten to death on these forums. As for me, I tend to think it's a problem with the gas pumps, so I suggest trying another pump. Others have differing opinions, and will state so loudly.

Tom

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The comprehensive insurance always carries a deductible, it is not free.

4. YoungOrganist

YoungOrganist New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Actually, the insurance company will often replace the windshield for free because it reduces the likelihood you'll be in an accident.

5. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Our 2008's glass didn't last very long either. No chipping incident was witnessed and it cracked out of the blue with no vehicles around. Dealer claimed it was a stone chip and there is what appears to be a chip...however, I can't be certain that cracking didn't produce the chip (chicken or the egg?) At any rate it's the most fragile windshield I've ever had. I don't intend to put OEM glass (from Thailand) back in for that reason. On the other hand PPG made the OEM glass for my Tundra and it has held up well to various chips. I intend to try it when I must replace the windshield.

I'm holding off on glass replacement for several reasons:
    1. If it is going to be this easy to crack, why rush to replace it?
    2. The tendency to crack may be influenced by body flex, so I intend to install a strut tower brace first to reduce the flex.
    3. I'm waiting until I see a second "chip" in the glass. If the second chip cracks then I'll be certain the problem is defective OEM glass rather than just bad luck...and I will settle in for a warranty fight with Toyota. The test is somewhat lopsided as it can effectively prove defective glass, but can't really clear it or even reveal if the problem was related to body flex.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have never had to pay a deductible for comprehensive. Collision, on the other hand, always has a deductible. Of course each policy can be different.

Tom

7. canesfan

canesfan Culture shocked...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know GEICO will replace/repair windshields free.

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It is possible that there was a stone chip in the glass that weakened the glass, causing it to crack from thermal shock when you used the defroster. That happened to me in -10 F weather one morning. It sounded like a gunshot when the glass broke. I was sure it was defective glass until the guy at the glass shop found a small nick along the crack line. He claimed that was what weakened the glass, and it was certainly possible.
    BTW, that was in my old Audi, so this is certainly not a Prius only issue!

9. PaulTomblin

PaulTomblin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My 1992 Corolla did that too - I was driving in freezing rain where the defroster and wipers could only keep a strip about 10 centimeters high clear. I drove for about an hour hunched over looking out that clear strip. And afterwards, I discovered a crack from one side to the other right along the line where the ice ended.