1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noticed odd behavior last 2 times I’ve driven HV in my 2017 Prime.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by 2015BlizzardPriusFour, Feb 1, 2019.

1. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone else run into the vents blowing out HOT air with climate set to off after driving a few miles (2-5 miles) in HV mode on the highway (75mph)?

Outside temps today were in mid 50s to low 60s. Had climate control set to off and when I started slowing down for traffic I got a nice blast of very warm, almost hot, air blasting in my face from the vent between the steering wheel and touch screen.

Just curious if others experience this (as in it’s normal) or if it’s time to yank my ultragauge from my other car to keep an eye on temps.

iPad ?

#1 2015BlizzardPriusFour, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was the temp set to 'low'?

3. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was on auto and set at 71 and blowing floor before I clicked “off”.

When it started blowing warm at me I checked it was still set to off and then changed to the energy usage screen on the MID (where it shows engine/battery feeding wheels and/or climate) and it showed only power going to the wheels.

iPad ?

4. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah, that has happened to me many times, I think that the engine is on heating up the coolant that goes around the climate vent and since ur going 75mph the outside air is pushing the hot air into the cabin. Try to turn recirculation on.

#4 EyePrime, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    2015BlizzardPriusFour and bisco like this.
  5. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks. Got to worrying about an overheating situation. I’ll try the recirculating button next time.

iPhone ?

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’m not certain, but I suspect that “Off” doesn’t stop it from passing cabin air through the heater core. I suspect it just turns off the fan, air conditioner and heat pump, since they’re not “free” energy-wise.

Trollbait, EyePrime and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i think setting it to low is your best bet. might even make the engine run less.

mr88cet likes this.
  8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At a minimum, the warm-up cycle will be shorter.

bisco likes this.
  9. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Something similar happened to me when I was in EV and the outside temperature was relatively low (i.e. 50-60s). My climate control was set to off, BUT the last temperature setting was about 74 or so.

While I was driving in EV, I noticed my battery percentage dropping much faster than usual. My climate control system was set to allow fresh air to pass through and completely OFF but when I put my hand in front of the vents, I noticed warm (i.e. 74 degree) air coming out. I went to my climate control settings (even though it was completely off!) and set the temperature to "LO". After that, warm air stopped coming out of my vents and I observed a normal EV battery discharge rate.

SO - I always try to remember to leave my temperature settings to LO when I am in EV and don't want to drain my battery. There has to be some kind of bug in Toyota's software because OFF should mean OFF. I mentioned this in an earlier post last year and will try to dig it up.

EDIT - Here is the post from last year:

Warm air blowing through vents without climate control system on | PriusChat

2015BlizzardPriusFour likes this.