1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

noticed something

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by krooster1234, May 26, 2004.

1. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

I was sitting in stop&go traffic recently for like 45 minutes, never getting up past 8mph or maybe less. For the first 25-30 minutes, the battery was doing all the work and my mileage was amazing. Then the battery eventually drained pretty low, so my mileage went down to around 25mpg (the engine was doing all the work AND trying to recharge the battery). Guess I never got going fast enough for the regenerative braking to kick in. Just thought I'd share this experience, since I had been previously unaware that traffic could be so bad that fuel economy would suffer that much.

Of course, the first 23-30 min. of 100mpg cancelled out the next 10 min. of horrible mileage.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

What you report seems normal. Next time, if possible, turn off the air conditioner or run is as low as possible.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just imagine the other 10,000 cars on the road with you, getting maybe 1 mpg the whole time :)

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The "problem," if you can call it that, is that your instantaneous mpg takes into account how much gas you are burning and how fast you are travelling. It does not take into account how much you are charging or draining your battery. And since you cannot see how much charge is entering or leaving the battery, that figure is pretty much meaningless.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is where a watt meter would come in handy. I use one in the house occasionally to monitor the drain my computers cause when they are doing things like burning DVDS.

Maybe Coastal can add one to the brake/engine display, so we can see what the stereo and AC are using, and adjust as necessary when stuck in traffic...