1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noticed that the LEDs on Audis go off when Signalling

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by TonyPSchaefer, May 11, 2011.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I noticed this the other day and thought there was a problem with the dude's car. But then I noticed it in other similar cars. I'll try my best to describe it:

Audis now have that "eyebrow" of LEDs that run along the top of the headlight assembly. When the car is signalling a turn, the LED eyebrow turns off as the signal blinks. Not as an alternating "LED . Signal . LED . Signal" but the LEDs turn off, the signal blinks and when the signal gets cancelled, the LED comes back on.

I find this odd. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone have a rational explanation as to why they would implement this?

addendum: Here's a thread at AudiWorld acknowledging this: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2801816

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes - I have noticed it as well. In many of the models the LED strip also doubles as the turn signal so it is the strip that is actually blinking. It does look a bit strange, but it seems like it is needed as it would be tougher to notice the blinking if it stayed on - white and amber alternating would be tougher to notice than amber blinking alone. I do not know if this was mandated by the government or if Audi just decided to do it on its own, but I think it is a good decision.

4. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I believe it's to meet the requirements of the FMVSS. Specifically, Standard 108 (49 CFR 571.108), S5.5.11(a)(4)(iv) which requires deactivation of an adjacent DRL when the signal lamp is activated and certain other conditions are not met. Here is the text. I made minor changes in braces for readability.

1 person likes this.
  5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed it for the first time yesterday while coming to work. Thought it looked pretty cool.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is Audi the one with the sad LED brows, or angry like BMW?

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i noticed this a couple months back...

i was going to say i don't like it.. i think it looks odd.. and it's probably done that way so that people can see the turn signals better (as someone else already proved.. sorry.. not looking at names).

I like the Mercedes turn signals on the higher end S sedans... an entire row of yellow LEDs under the entire lamp.. very clear to see..

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. Actually, I'd seen a bunch of Audis where it seemed like one LED strip was burned out. I mentioned this on an OT Audi thread at my350z.com and that's when someone pointed out to me the behavior Tony's pointing out.

Maybe I wasn't paying that close attention before but now when I look, when I see a Audi w/a strip out, that side's turn signals are on. Now, I'm not so sure about what I saw before. Was I previously seeing a mix of Audis w/the by design behavior and another set really with one set burned out?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A few Chrysler products do as it as well but their DRLs are still the high beams. I believe it's so that the indicators can be better seen. Those Audi DRLs are pretty bright (and so are some of the Chrysler products' halogen DRLs)

10. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius's turn signal mirrors does the same. I've seen some Cadillacs do the same too. KK6PD's switchback LED mod does the same except his alternates between white and amber. You can get bulbs that act the same as the Audi's.
    This is the Prius's signal mirror

11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed it on a friend's new Audi. I beleive they do it to reduce any confusion between the turn signal and other accessory driving lights (e.g. the LEDs)