1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nov-April cold weather mpg in MD: 44

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ystasino, May 13, 2009.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just reporting that with a little over 4000 miles during the 6 cold months of the year (MD) I managed 44 mpg.

Managed is not exactly the right word because since I moved to Baltimore City most of my trips are either 2-3 miles or 40 miles to DC with cruise control at around 74 mph. So those 4000 miles are about 70% highway speeding and 30% traffic light to traffic light. ~Meh

Just to make myself feel better I'll post that my best tank ever was 61.0 mpg

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That sounds pretty good to me!

I'm in a pretty chilly place in the Winter -- Northern Illinois. It may not be Edmonton, but it can be cold some days. I have a fairly short commute, but it looks like I put on a few more miles.

For the Nov-Apr months (inclusive, so it is 6 full months), I drove almost exactly 6,600 miles, and my mileage came in at 47.9 MPG. My Winter mileage was better this year, even though our weather was considerably colder. Two things account for this: 1) The knowledge gained by experience, and 2) an Engine Block Heater. Thanks to Fire Engineer, I have an EBH, and it truly made a difference for me. My winter lows were all before the late January installation, and I hit 50 MPGs by mid-February!

For comparison's sake, for the 12 month period ending in April, my mileage has been 53.4 MPG. Like you, I've had some better and some worse tanks. For that 12-month stretch I had 5 tanks exceed 60 MPG (top was 61.3, but just 575 miles before filling). I also had two tanks below 40 MPG, with my low being 35.0 MPG (and only 298 miles).

There are plenty of others who post better mileage. Most of them have longer commutes. Just about all of them have more experience! Tony and Donee should now speak up and share their Chicagoland Winter MPGs!