1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

November 2010 US auto sales

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Dec 2, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By the Numbers - November 2010: Almost Done With Oh-Ten Edition — Autoblog

Toyota and Lexus are down compared to the same period last year. The "Big 3" US automakers and all other companies (but not all nameplates) are up.

From Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com, as usual, "light trucks" are up more than cars and even large SUVs are up %-wise more than any car segment. :( Sigh... Guess it means gas prices are too cheap and Americans are back to their old ways.

2. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $3 a gallon was enough for me to buy a Prius in November. I did my part!

1 person likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wasn't there something about the government using stimulas money to buy american cars?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not sure they ever left them . . . but I live in Huntsville AL.

Bob Wilson

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Your completely right. C4C shifted some out of their guzzlers and many are buying trucks, albeit more efficient ones to replace the ones they got rid of.

Oil is at $88/bbl. At $120/bbl lots of alternative production becomes economically feasable, so it can't go much higher and stay there. Goldman Sachs is predicting $100 oil next year and $110 the year after assuming china heats up and starts importing more oil. The only way I see gas at $5 is if the government taxes it more. I don't really want to see $5 gas. As hybrids, phevs, and bevs get better they should increase sales. I'm sure there would be more prius sales today if toyota would just add a plug :D

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing tells me it's a GREAT TIME to buy a truck or SUV like a growing unemployment rate and rising gasoline prices. I can only assume some of these people really do believe the world will end in 2012, because it's not out of good fiscal sense they're buying all these cars. The economy is in a terrible state.

These are truly horrible numbers for Toyota, though. Corporate must be panicked, is it really all because of the people earlier this year who confused their gas with their brake pedal?

1 person likes this.
  7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree, American consumers seem to be not very good at buying cars based on fiscal sense. It seems like the press or hybrid doubters always bring up "payback period" for hybrids, claim they payback period is way too long (usually by not taking into account hybrid resale value) and then dismiss them.

Does that mean they go buy an econobox instead? Not necessarily, at least based on small car sales trends, at least if one looks at YTD Nov 2010 vs. 2009. It seems to be "ok" to instead buy SUVs. :rolleyes: What's the "payback" period on those? How much money do they save?

As for "truly horrible" numbers for Toyota, I'm not sure I agree. They're not great but I'd be much more worried if I were at Smart or selling cars (non-"trucks") at Chrysler/Dodge.

8. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Like what ?

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are numerous pilot plants using fischer tropsch conversion or mobil conversion. These can take natural gas as a feed stock or coal as a feedstock through gasification. The chinese are also experimenting with some direct conversion processes from coal. Also there are pilot projects to use methanol or captured CO2 as feed stocks adding energy from electricity.

Shell's pilot plant in quatar using natural gas as a feedstock claims break even as low as $20/bbl. Add sequestration or convert from coal and prices rise. Certainly at current prices synthetic methods are under scrutiny, and because of the possible use of oil blackmail the airforce has a program to supply half of aviation fuel through synthetic methods by 2016. All this puts a cap on long term oil prices, but plants take time to be built and short term spikes can hit as they did when oil hit $120/bbl from financial manipulation. Definitely there is a case for hybrids and electric cars at $2.50 gasoline. The new cafe standards will definitely provide choice to customers that want these vehicles.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I read this week that the idea of American consumers paying down debts is nearing its end point. The debts paid down in the last quarter were something like 1/4 that paid down a year back (and it's not because they paid them off!).

I'm positive that many people just are not worried about the economy like they were. When they saw unemployment shooting up they went into lockdown and that's stopped. But it stopped high. However, the lack of movement has introduced a malaise. And one undeserved as indicated by the now gradual increase in unemployment again.