1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

novice buyers makes boo boo

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by novicebuyer, Feb 17, 2008.

1. novicebuyer

novicebuyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

i bought a used 2005 (60k) prius yesterday for $18k in the san francisco bay area and i'm wondering if i bought a lemon. it doesn't unlock automatically when you walk up to it (instead you have to push the button on the electric key). you can't start it by just sitting in the car (instead you have to put the electric key in the slot). there are no tail lights (just break lights and reverse lights). did i buy a broken prius? i think i have 48 hours to return it but i wonder if the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me because when he hand wrote a letter saying i had a couple days to return it and the letter just says problems with transmission and engine. when i asked him to add the words electric system, he said not to worry because it was covered by a warranty but now i can't find any warranty paper work. did i mess this up? should i go back to the dealer?

thanks,

e

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't believe the 2005 Base Model has SKS, so yours works as it should. Tail lights should be no problem.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's usually a good idea to pay a technician (not at the dealer selling the car!) to check over a used car before you buy.

Be certain to get the owner's manual and the scheduled maintenance guide. If they don't come with the car buy them from Toyota online or from a dealer. They will save you bother and expense.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, it sounds to me as though you bought a package that simply does not have the Smart Key System. In 2005 there were packages with SKS and packages without.

Now, if the dealer sold you the car under the premise that this particular car had those features, you definitely should return it or as for a discount in your price.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are sure there are no tail lights take it back to the dealer. No excuse for no tail lights. If your fob has a silver logo then you have SKS. If not, you bought a lower option package and the car is fine.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 2005 base model does not have SKS .That's what I have.

However if the tail lights don't work, he sold you a car that does not meet legal requirements to drive on the road. That's illegal. He fixes it for free, I don't care what his hand written letter says. BTW how do you know it doesn't have taillights? Have you waited until dark and turned the headlights on?

As for the rest, you've learned a valuable lesson. If he told you it was a higher package and it wasn't, there isn't much you can do. It's his word against yours. However if there is paperwork that says it's supposed to have certain things or a certain package and it doesn't, you have written proof that you were not sold the car you expected to buy.

Before you buy your next car, do some research first so you know exactly what you're buying and what it's supposed to have.