1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now An Owner...with question(s)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sid, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Sid

Sid New Member

I bought and picked up my Prius today!
    Package 2 (AG) {that's what I could afford} in Millenium Silver.
    The dealer filled it up for me and I've driven it for less than 50 miles and the fuel indicator is down to 2 or 3 bars above the half-way point; I know it's non-linear, but is that "normal"? I've had the AC running just about the whole time.

Another thing: when driving straight, the steering wheel is tilted just a little to the right, not perfectly straight, should I be concerned?

It came with about 130 miles on it, but was not called, or sold as a Demo model.

I live near Philly, and fortunately there isn't really much of a wait for package 2s and package 6s.

Overall, quite happy so far (1 day), but I always worry after making a big purchase that something will go wrong with it.

Oh, another question:
    Is the Platinum Warranty discount still available? Platinum Warranty Discount thread
    The dealer offered it at around $1050 to $1100. [Edit] actually, it may have been more than this, but I declined it with the PriusChat discount in mind.

Thanks!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the fuel gauge readings that your getting are probably correct as you have to understand that the dealer only fills to kickoff. That is why I always say if your going to track each and every tank the thing to do is go directly from your dealer and fill the car up. The steering wheel off center is a reason to see the service dept. don't have a car with some thing that is easily correctable bugging you. Take it back.

3. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Yep new guy, the dealer did not fill the car, and the 130 miles or so were driven on the full tank, that is what is bout normal before the gauge starts down. As for the tilt in the wheel, take it back immediately and correct this, there is an alignment problem, and yes the Prius Chat policy advertised is better, and note you don't have to commit to that for 3 yrs and 36,000 miles., just get the policy before the car reaches that milestone.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Crooked steering is common, since front end alignment is not part of normal dealer prep.

1) Have the alignment checked, and insist on a little toe-IN, even though the spec allows a setting of zero. You'll be thankful on a freeway with a crosswind.

2) Make sure the steering wheel is really off. It is NOT parallel to the dash, NOR perpendicular to the direction of travel. Compare the imaginary level wheel line only to the horizon only, not to any part of the car.

5. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Hey Prius experts out there, am I right about the warranty, it is safe to wait? don't have to decide inside of 3 yrs/36k right ?? Seems like I read that but want to be 100% sure for the new owner like me too...

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you CAN wait until 3 yrs/36K initial warranty is up, but once you pass it, you're out of luck.

7. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Good thought I was right, but do appreciate confirmation...

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You can see if you can recenter the wheel yourself. Find an open place, roll slowly, and then steer as far as you can to the left, and then right (either side can be first), and see if the steering centers.

The electronic steering seems to throw itself off sometimes. I had my alignment done, and then the steering started going off-center again. Doing the far edges of the steering recentered it for me.

9. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Good suggestion NuStrike., sometimes re-calibrating like this re-centers the wheel settings..seems rather strange but worth the try

10. Sid

Sid New Member

Thanks everyone for the reassurances and suggestions! :D
    For the steering wheel, I'll use the info in the 2 quoted posts first, then contact my dealer if necessary.

As for the fuel consumption, I'll give it a propper fill-up and see then.
    On the window sticker, ***Full Tank of Gas*** is listed under the "Comfort and Covenience" area as something the car comes with.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know Sid... kind of a shame that dealers don't usually go the extra mile to REALLY fill it up isn't it? :cussing:

12. Sid

Sid New Member

I tried NuShrike's suggestion of:
    Find an open place, roll slowly, and then steer as far as you can to the left, and then right (either side can be first), and see if the steering centers.
    I found an empty parking lot and did this, but that didn't seem to really change the steering wheel's slight to-the-right-of-center orientation when driving straight. My wife says she hasn't noticed this herself, and she's driven our Prius almost as much as I have since yesterday.
    I can call my sales rep tomorrow (July 4th), he told me the dealership would be open and he'll be there, but I don't know if the mechanics will be in and if they could check the car without an appointment.

Still though, having a pleasant Prius experience. :D

PS, new question:
    Why are the battery charge bars sometimes blue and sometimes green?

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I doubt the mechanics will be there. My husband is a Toyota tech and he has the day off, as do all his co-workers tomorrow.

You are entitled to one free alignment in the first 12K miles or so to correct for shipping-related alignment issues. I think your best bet is to go in Tuesday and try to get the car checked out if you really are irritated with it. Depending on the dealership, how big they are and how many cars they process in their service department a day, they should be able to get it taken care of that same day.

The charge bars are: purple at 2 bars, blue from 2-6 and green from 7-8 in my experience. I think it turns pink when you get down to 1 bar but I've never seen that myself. It just gives you a visual cue as to how charged the battery is, I guess.

Good luck!

14. Sid

Sid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"103749)</div>
    Thanks for the great info! :D

15. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

Nice ride you got there. ;)

16. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"103598)</div>
    When does the extended warranty take effect, when I purchase it, or from the original date of the 3 year/36K miles? For example, if I wait the just under three years, and the extended warranty kicks in from the day I purchase it, then I get another seven years for a total of ten years of warranty?

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no, it will end whenever you reach 7 yrs or 100k miles. it doesn't add 7 years to your current warranty.

18. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Right Galaxee on the warranty, and Sid., not to delay your having an alignment check, make sure you have a relatively flat and level road, sometimes the road can throw you off. Watch and make sure your dealer has qualified people handling the problem, if not and if there is a better dealer nearby, it may be worth going somewhere else, just make sure they are Toyota Certified. And Monday is the 4th of July., if any service is open it will be the skeleton crew, so wait.

19. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

I would go ahead with the extended warranty especially if you plan to travel. There are some extensions of coverage such as lodging and meals that are not covered under the basic warranty.

20. Sid

Sid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ReneGS\";p=\"103849)</div>
    Me?
    Thanks! :mrgreen: