1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now at 22K mi. I have a right front whirling noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by subjective, Oct 11, 2013.

1. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have Michelin Energy Saver AS tires with 17k miles on them. I describe the sound as a light whirling with a slight warbling variation in the noise louder from the passenger seat. I carry 42 psi in the front tires. The wear is only slight and even with no noticeable variation. I believe it is coming from the R front and is noticeable at 25 to 35 mph on smooth blacktop roads. Wind noise makes it less noticeable at higher speeds. I wonder if it could be a wheel bearing on the R front side? The sound can barely be heard in the drivers seat. Does anyone have experience with this noise or know what it is likely to be before I go to work between the Toyota dealer and the tire dealer and where to start? Thank you

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the maintenance and troubleshooting forum from technical.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might want to wait for it to get worse. If it's a wheel bearing it will get much louder Over time with no safety risk or damage to any other component.
    If you want to start on it sooner get the tires rotated and see if the noise changes location with the wheel.