1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now I' Mad!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rfred, Aug 3, 2007.

1. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I thought I had the problem solved (well, it worked once.) Took the car to the dealer today with my three quarts of Mobil 1 for the 15,000 mile service. Just checked the oil level - someone tell me how it could be a half inch over the full line with three quarts of oil in it? The last time I took it in with three quarts of Mobil 1 the oil reached half way between the low and high points.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Oh yeah, Molle in Kansas City.

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why I change my own oil and keep the receipts. Lord knows what they actually put in your crank case and where your M1 went. Maybe it's in there mixed with some from their barrel? Who knows.

I found a neat device in one of those SkyMall catalogs yesterday that would come in handy at times like this. It's called an "oil extractor" and basically consists of a plastic barrel with a hand-operated vacuum pump with a wand that you shove down the dipstick tube. Set it up, pull a vacuum on the cylinder, and the oil comes up and out. For the low low price of $70.

3. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Aug 3 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]490242[/snapback]</div>
    1. They didn't change the filter. Still unlikely that far over full with only 3 quarts as it is a small oil filter.

2. They didn't use your oil and did their usual thing of pumping bulk oil in.

3. They put your oil in and then felt sorry for you and found another quart to put in.

I always do the 3 quart thing with my dealer plus I have a friend who does the same thing. We have never seen it higher than 1/2 way between the 'add' and 'full' marks. 1/2 inch over sounds like 1 quart above that. So I vote for #2.

- Tom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Aug 3 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]490250[/snapback]</div>
    Any auto parts store should have a plastic one for about $25. I got a nice brass one from Amazon.com for about $30, but they no longer list that one.

- Tom

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Aug 3 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]490242[/snapback]</div>
    Take it back. Insist it be corrected. Insist on supervising the correction. If they refuse block one of their doors and remove the half quart yourself. If their moron can't follow directions for an oil change how are they ever going to fix anything serious?

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always remind the oil tech to use *only* the three quarts that I provide and that I will check his work before I drive away. And then I do it.

6. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 4 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]490545[/snapback]</div>
    Called the dealership today and spoke to the Assistant Service Manager. I now have a new oil filter installed with three quarts of Mobil 1 in the car. From now on I'm going to check the oil level before I leave the service area!

7. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Aug 4 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]490626[/snapback]</div>
    Please punk out the name of the stealership you went to so others can stay away. Please always name the dealership when they screw something up. You should install a remote video camera to expose them in the local paper...I bet they get your car straight when you bring it back. Make a big deal about the problem in the showroom with other customers present. You will always win in this situiation. Complain with other people present. Sorry to hear about your problem. Many others here on PC have had this same problem and the dealerships can not seem to get it straight. Bahhh. It pisses me off and I was not even there. I highly recommend a hidden video camera.

8. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If they only put 3 quarts in, and your oil is overfilled, that
    can only mean that they didn't remove all of the old stuff.

Boooo!

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Aug 3 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]490252[/snapback]</div>
    Tom

That's my best guess too. Only a used oil analysis will be proof though. Synthetics have far different virgin and used oil analysis results compared to the crap dealer bulk oil. A good clue is sky-high Na levels.

I guess all I can offer to the OP is this: next time, change it yourself

jay

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Aug 4 2007, 07:59 PM) [snapback]490688[/snapback]</div>
    Strictly speaking, yes. Another possibility is that they used the three quarts, looked at the Toyota shop manual which tells them to add 3.9 quarts during an oil change, thought "silly customer!", and helpfully topped it off by adding another 0.9 quarts of their own bulk oil.

11. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Aug 4 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]490685[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah! We want a name!! Which one did this?! Not that I would be in KS for an oil change, but what the hell! :)

12. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With all of the aggravation and headaches, you would have been better off buying a couple of ramps and doing it yourself. That is the ONLY WAY you will ever know that it is done correctly. I don't trust the grease monkeys at the dealership anymore than I do the ones at the quick lube places.