1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now it begins "Bell the Hybrid"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 18, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    NHTSA chief talks safety at SAE World Congress | detnews.com | The Detroit News

In fact, the NHTSA study is flawed because it did not count the number of vehicles to give a true rate per vehicle or 100 million miles. Worse, it did not include pickup trucks and SUVs that the NHTSA has already identified as having a higher rate of pedestrian accidents (Hogan and separate NHTSA 2009 report.)

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  2. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm no engineer or statistician but is it valid to use a few dozen people who are legally blind to base regulations on? They purposely only used comparable vehicles like the Toyota Corolla Hybrid (that is in the report) vs the Toyota Corolla, and the Honda Civic vs. the HCH, and the Prius vs. the Toyota Matrix (equiv size and weight). At 20mph or higher, the ICE vehicles were as quiet or quieter than the hybrids. More often than not, it was the ICE's that the blind persons never heard coming. And the only way they could make a significant difference was when there was virtually no ambient sound. According to the report, these regulations would help the 67,000 legally blind Americans who use only the white cane to get around be safe. And it makes clear that the only reason they need to bell the hybrid is because the blind representatives refuse to use existing technology that would warn them of all approaching vehicles.

Mr. Strickland's other plan is to remove satellite navigation systems and other infotainment devices from cars because they are distracting drivers. His goal? Zero vehicle-related deaths. Whatever it takes. The only way to achieve that would be to end vehicle use. Of course, I'm not sure what to do about horses kicking people or who is going to pick up the horse manure.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I guess we will have to notify our representatives in Congress. They seem to be very attentive to the Country's needs lately.

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    oh sure that make total sense, have all hybrid mfrs add cost to the vehicle for the chance that one of the 67,000 blind americans lives might be saved. Make total sense, lol. I say if they require it on hybrids, of course EVs will be next, since they are totally silent, why not just require it on all cars then? That is the only fair way to do it.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well we're coming on Congressional elections in November and 1/3d of the Senate is up. So I'd recommend:

• Volunteer to work at their office - do phone banking or whatever it takes so folks and the candidate know your name and face.
    • About 6 weeks before the election - see if the incumbent is a co-signer of HR 734 / S 841, if they are, ask if you can get a little face time and let them know you drive a hybrid. Ask them, "Is supporting you going to put a noise maker on my hybrid?"
    • If they are a challenger - ask them the same question, "Would you put a noise maker on my hybrid?"
    • Work another week or so - let them think about it and then decide where you need to spend your time.
    I know this sounds cold but you'll also find a lot of the blind are volunteering to work phone banks. You need to be there. Keep our cars quiet but not our ballots.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The real problem is making our hybrids as noisy as today's engine powered vehicles does not save a life. We lose about 4,000 pedestrians a year and not even 10/4000 ~0.25% from Prius. So what this effort does is distract NHTSA from the pile of dead bodies from SUVs, pickups and other vehicles. It is 'eyewash' so NHTSA can ignore the thousands who die every year and ~50-60,000 thousands who are injured.

Understand, if anyone can show from the accident statistics that hybrids are a real risk, I'll stand beside them. But repeating the same experiment, noisy vehicles, and expecting a different result - that is the definition of insanity.

Bob Wilson

7. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    4,000 pedestrians is too many, no doubt. But taking questionable test results- limited subjects, using the quietest hybrids versus not particularly quiet ICE vehicles, removing all ambient sound, removing any road debris from the tires, not discussing the type of pavement etc.- to then claim its proven that we're killing blind people (Toyotas are the worst of course according to the study). Ugh!

And we're going to bell the hybrid because 67000 visually-impaired Americans want to use only their white canes. Technology exists that would allow the blind to know any vehicle is approaching but they don't want to use it. The hybrid-and EV-buying public have to make the changes. Guide dogs are already trained (about 33000 use them) so what we have is a voluntary hazard.

Seeing Congressman Towns is the sponsor didn't help make me any happier.

8. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Silence is golden. With so much noise pollution isn't it nice to have something quiet? As a pedestrian I can hear a Prius moving under electric power due to the tire noise. Sometimes I even hear an 'electric' sound as well. Considering I am sighted and my hearing is not unusually good (or bad) a blind person should easily be able to hear one.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The dog-training schools already have adopted Prius into their training and teach the dogs to work on motion (a natural for a predator species.)

Bob Wilson

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Perhaps we can get an electronic petition going on here?

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yet, on the other hand, Harley Davidson's can be loud as hand grenades. Vehicle owners can certainly lobby successfully, but I advise against arguing that the blind don't matter. This argument makes you look very uncaring. Someong unconcerned about the safety of blind pedestrians is uncaring about the safety of all pedestrians. How can Prius owners care about the environment if the selfish sob's don't even care about the blind? See? It's a bad argument to make. Of course we care for the blind, an we are very sympathetic to their plight, and we would never stand for putting them in harm's way... It's just that hybrids are not a danger to the blind.

A better argument is one based on facts: The study is flawed. The data are invalid. Quietness is a virtue, not a safety issue.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While checking for news, I found this:

Government to introduce Motor Vehicle Idling (Fixed Penalty) Bill - 7thSpace Interactive

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    NHTSA chief talks safety at SAE World Congress | detnews.com | The Detroit News
    I suspect the comments of these other speakers were not expected by Strickland. At last, a little bit of common sense starting to show-up.

Bob Wilson

14. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're right about the need to be careful about how we present our case. I'm not sure though we can't bring up the fact that the 2/3 of the 100,000 "independent" visually impaired could be warned of all vehicles (hybrids, EVs and ICEs), but choose not to. They should be required to protect themselves (like motorcycle helmets or seat belts).

15. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amen, brother. It'd be nice to see municipalities enforce their noise ordinances (here in B'more we sure could use the revenue). How about a $200 fine for sticking a coffee can on a Civic, with a $50 escalation for every inch in diameter over 4". And don't even get me started about those stupid dirt bikes--I wonder how many pedestrians they off each year. And I doubt they give a rat's buttock about the blind, deaf, or anyone else. (Although based on how often I see them buzzing the wrong way on one way streets and blowing through red lights, their life expectancy can't be too great either).

16. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it's a done deal

Carmakers, blind advocates agree on electric car noise rules - May. 19, 2010

We don't even get our choice of Bell Tones...

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II