1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NOW Jedlicka likes the Prius!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by orracle, Aug 30, 2008.

1. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I like this line; "It seems hard to believe that not long ago the Prius was a slow-seller because of little demand for it. "

I had to wait weeks for my 2001. Enough said.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Yea, seems like Jedlicka has not been tracking Prius demand, and just made that line up. In late 2005 demand was such, it was a 6 mo wait from the local dealer. Only through luck did I find one in January 2006, for delivery in February 2006, 400 miles away!

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Greenwashing alert.

The article is filled with misleading info. For example, Notice now the reporter made no mention of the 10-year 150,000-mile guarantee available to owners in CARB states.

Like many others who attempt to greenwash, they go out of their way to make sure you are not able to draw a conclusion yet. They pretend that more data collection is still required, that the verdict is still out. They don't want you to know out how many owners have already proven that there is no reason to doubt anymore.

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is all true, John, but this reviewer is SO MUCH BETTER than the alternative (Jim Mateja in the Chicago Tribune) that those of us in the Chicago area see this as a breath of fresh air. Read this a recent PriusChat thread about one of Mr. Mateja's articles.

6. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    From a facts point, not his personal opinions, Jim Meteja's article was somewhat more accurate. Jedlicka's article pointed out the the you could add package 6 to the Touring edition for an additional 4k+. If I was unfamiliar with Prius I would have understood package 6 to be only available on the Touring edition. I think where both writers miss the point is that Prius and Hybrids in general are very special automobiles..... versus hybrid owners are some fringe lunatic group. As far as both writers are concerned there is some bias and personalization about the car that is unnecessary, like seat comfort i Meteja's article. Neither of them seems remotely competent in understanding the hybrid technology and why its important that auto manufacturers focus their attention in this direction. Its always the same story, you save gas but it costs more, its really like a Corrolla but Toyota says its midsize the Camry...how about the Prius is the closest thing to a aerodynamic gem that reduces emissions to almost nothing, and educates drivers through the consumption/energy monitor to reduce bad habits like speeding, fast acceleration, quick stops, etc.. and it seats five adults comfortably and you can park it easily in the City.....geez they should be educated by some of the senior members of this group before writing about the Prius..

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Perhaps it is just me, but I think Mateja's representations were factually deficient -- to a higher degree than Jedlicka's. I believe I laid this out fairly well in the thread referred to earlier. Read about his statements that the Prius starts out in electric mode and then the gas kicks in at 30mph, or that the battery is underneath the back seat (that's why it is uncomfortable!), or that a 5-minute loop at low speed vs. high speed shows you that you have to "baby" the Prius to get good mileage, or . . .

More than one person has attempted to educate Mr. Mateja, but you know what they say about an old dog and new tricks.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Jedlicka's revelation comes in the last sentence,"By then, the Hollywood crowd will have moved on to another type of vehicle." He simply can't imagine anyone buying a Prius except because of his Hollywood fixation. This is also common in European articles and automotive journals.

As for Mateja, facts and data seems to have little impact on his writing when the word "Prius" shows up. He writes about another time and place when gas was cheap and cars big and mechanically simple. For example, when the CNW Marketing nonsense came out, Mateja was all over that nonsense. But I don't read Mateja normally so I don't know if he screws up his other articles with the same disregard for facts and data. Neither one would attract me to their publications.

In contrast, I find the Australian magazine, Autospeed, to be worth every read. Julian Edgar is one of the best applied, automotive engineers writing on the net today.

Bob Wilson

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    people's outspoken ignorance never ceases to amaze me........................

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Complicated drive train??? Well, I guess that shows how ignorant this guy is. While the drive train is dreadfully difficult to conceptualize, with its different modes of operation, and while the computer programming is very complex, it is mechanically the simplest drive train there is, apart from a direct-drive electric motor of the sort in my Xebra.

Take a look at an automatic transmission and then try to tell me the PSD is complicated!

Okay, the press has never distinguished itself as a presenter of information. We should not be surprised if they misrepresent the Prius. I think you lose your license as a journalist if you write an article without at least one completely false statement.

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What license?

12. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Guys like Jedlicka write for the whole car industry. They understand the industry is stuck with millions of dinosaurs buyers don't want (and that includes Toyota), so they have to be very diplomatic and industry-conscious about what they say. That means business as usual and no upsetting the applecart. Without compromising your integrity, of course.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a more fitting quote is "There are none so blind as those who will not see."
    I actually thrash my Prius and get good mileage, I just don't waste energy racing to red lights.

Actually not a bad article when compared with most.