1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now NJ Wants To Tax Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Apr 26, 2013.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "For 98% of the drivers with gasoline powered cars"...
    Right...when we see 2% of the cars in NJ as plug in and electric, we'll talk.
    He might want to rethink the sales tax exemption on electric vehicles if going for a money grab.

3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Funny how a Democratic party run state in NJ wants to tax EV more, while CA Democrates want to tax less (both sales and registration tax) for EVs.

I know NJ is tax crazy state, but even a lifer CA resident thinks this is crazy.

JMD likes this.
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What's even better is that the money goes into a general fund and then they raid it for other projects.

They'll fix that by including hybrids. ;)

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I live in Maryland and in addition to our '08 Prius we drive a Think City EV daily.
    Virginia to our south has an annual $100 flat rate fee for hybrids and EVs. That
    approach I can live with even though it looks like their fee may be somewhat high.

But seeing this outrageous attempt to our north, just beyond Delaware in New Joisy,
    the Garden State, alternately the Red Mud State, is troublesome. On it's face it is
    offensive in its unfair overcharges. At another level the senator doesn't seem to have
    any awareness of the other resins for driving an EV, low pollution, national
    hydrocarbon sufficiency, national security, etc. He's not a real forward thinker.

I suppose at some point far off in the misty future there will be a sufficient number of
    EVs in daily use that hydrocarbon use sufficiency and national defense considerations
    become moot. Pollution based on coal generation plant may always be an issue -- but
    in fact, as to energy used my Think EV generates so more pollution per unit electricity
    than the ubiquitous color TVs, refrigeratosr, computers, air conditioners, electronic
    gaming consols, etc that are common place in almost every household. If you don't like
    EV's pollution, petition the relevant regulayory authority and/or supplying electrical
    utility tp raise its rates to cover additional pollution equipment or new power plant or
    renewable source construction. We'll all live happier, more healthful, longer lives
    together as a result.

I'll have to keep a closer eye out for similar plans in Maryland…
    I suspect that it's only a matter of time.

6. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, another tax-crazy legislator who can't stand it when somebody finds an honest way out. Never mind that most legislators themselves are using every possible tax loophole when it comes to their personal income tax. Am I implying that most Congressmen/women are hypocrites? No, I'm saying it directly. These are the same people who decided to offer Americans tax incentives to buy EVs in the first place. EVs already have a low annual mileage. It's an unfair, arbitrary treatment of taxpayers.

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Michigan's beginning to mull over something similar though the governor so far says he's not convinced it's a good idea.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Taxes uggggggghhhhhhhhh

Don't we pay enough

image.jpg

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Taxes on EV's, PHEV's and Hybrids... fuggedaboutit. It's all more ridiculousness on politicians parts.

JMD likes this.
  10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

this is stupidest thing i have heard about ever... is it possibly to win votes of gas guzzling drivers (big trucks) since they might be against EVs, etc?

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They'll probably take the money and make plaques to name the highways after themselves.

JMD likes this.
  12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note to self, write off NJ as a no retirement state!

JMD likes this.
  13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sure it was on your short list up till now.

What's your fallback? Detroit?

14. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nearly everyone in NJ has written off NJ as a retirement state. Head south old man!

JMD likes this.
  15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nevada City Nevada!
    No state income tax, close to Sacto, Vegas, Reno LA, quiet, clean, lovely country. And very little snow!

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  17. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe Florida has no State Income Tax. It also has decent healthcare for older folk I'm told.

Nevada has no State income tax

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correcting a few posts and the newspaper clip, Virginia ended up with $64/yr fee (not $100).

Both Virginia and NJ have the lowest state gasoline tax in the continental USA. So a hybrid in Virginia only avoids maybe $20-30 of state gaso tax. But our Governor said the reason we are taxing hybrids and EV's is to make up for State+Federal gaso taxes. He said the Feds give the states that tax money back, so the Fed gaso tax is really the state's money, they said.

Virginia has a high annual car tax that already hits Hybrids much harder with extra taxes. So any thought that a Prius under-pays taxes in VA is absolute malarky, to quote Joe Biden.

19. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exit tax, you have to pay to get out of NJ, that really sucks.
    Sounds like a Tony Soprano kinda ting ya nose!

JMD likes this.
  20. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    One of the most wonderful shell games about "taxing" electric cars is that the government usually taxes MORE for electricity than gas. Look at your utility bill. So there is actually no "loss" of revenue for the government. Yet the entire justification is somehow the EV driver is contributing less.

JMD likes this.