1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now Texas dealers are calling--after I picked up my Prius!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bethmaup, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

Suddenly several Texas dealers seem to have at least one Prius available.

I first got on a list in May 04 at Champion Toyota in Austin. I was something like 200 on the list. In September I was still at about that point, so I started contacting other dealers in Texas. Got on the list at Mike Calvert in Houston, and at some point I also got on the list at Longview.

Near the end of February Mike Calvert called me to say they had my car coming by the 28th at MSRP. Then I had a call from Alvin, Texas, a dealership I'd not contacted. They had a package 5 (MSRP). Picked up my car on February 28, and that long story was another thread. Since then I've been contacted by Longview Toyota (MSRP) and Marshall Toyota (MSRP), both with package 5.

Kent Cochran had offered me one from Colorado last fall, but I was leery of going out of state. No one responded to my questions about him, so I decided to wait for the one from Houston (two freeway exits from my son's house) or some other Texas city.

Champion still had me on the list with a projected August delivery.

Guess the moral is: Especially if you are in Austin, shop around.

2. cpwaites

cpwaites New Member

Re: Now Texas dealers are calling--after I picked up my Priu

The exact same thing happened to me in Houston! I took delivery on 2/27 and since then I have been bombarded with calls and emails about Priuses in stock. I guess there was a big shipment.

FWIW, I got mine in at Ron Carter in Alvin, about 40 minutes away, and had no problems at all. I would, however, appreciate hearing from any Houston area owners about a closer-in Toyota dealer that provides honest, reliable Prius service. I live in between Mike Calvert, which has always struck me as a bit of a zoo, and Sterling McCall, about which I have never heard one good thing. I would love to hear that my impressions are wrong.

3. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

Wonder if you got the package 5 they called me about. Or was it simply your turn on the list?

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Champion Toyota told me yesterday that they are now getting 30 Prius a month now. They now have 200 people on their highlander hybrid list.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Well I obviously know nothing about Texas other than some day I will visit there, but here in the PNW we are starting to see ads in the paper last on had 8 in stock!

6. cpwaites

cpwaites New Member

My wait was only about 3 weeks. I called Ron Carter on about Feb 9 and that same day the salesman told me he had worked a trade with another dealer to get the package 5 and that it would arrive in late Feb. The car came in when promised and I picked it up. No fuss, no muss. I never heard anything about waiting lists. Does that lack of an agonizing wait somehow diminish my Prius credentials? :wink:

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I also know nothing about the Prius supply situation in Texas, however in general I can agree with hdrygas that the supply in Washington is getting nice and loose. My wait time, once I found a compatible dealer was less than 3 weeks, and in essence my vehicle was a custom order, package 5, silver over gray. From what I can tell, there aren't that many package 5s coming into the PNW Toyota region as a standard stock item. Most of what is coming up here seems to be package 4 and 6.

Anyway, wait times should be becoming a thing of the past with production where it currently is. But demand in some regions is being satisfied, like the PNW, and in some regions it has yet to be satisfied.

I suppose my Prius credentials are also diminshed because of the lack of wait time, however if I had purchased from my local dealer I would still be waiting. It pays to look at a number of dealers.

8. DWrath

DWrath New Member

Yes, after being on a list for a year at a dealership in Arlington and being quoted $2500-5000 over MSRP at other dealerships in Texas, we went out of state with Kent Cochran and had the Prius we wanted at our doorstep within 3 weeks (that was in December). Since then we've noticed production has increased, hence more supply and availablility at sticker; which is good for everyone and our environment.

9. shins

shins New Member

I'm brand new to this forum but have been perusing it quite fervently over the past few days.

I live in Houston and am looking to buy a Prius ASAP. Any recommendations for dealerships to test-drive, offering good financing options, availability, etc.? I live closest to Mike Calvert, but it doesn't seem as if too many people here have been enthusiastic.

Currently, I'm not on any sort of "wait list" or anything, but it seems like Mike Calvert and Sterling McCall have at least 1 Prius on the lot for sale. Haven't checked with Champion, Ron Carter or Fred Haas yet.

Thanks everyone.

10. felton

felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DWrath\";p=\"71581)</div>
    I am in Dallas and am also in the process of buying my Prius from Ehrlich Toyota in Colorado. Very plesant and painless thusfar. They had just what I wanted (Red, pkg 6). There seems to be a good supply in Virginia. I almost wish I had found those first, because I would have enjoyed picking up the car in Virginia and driving back this time of year. The North Texas market is still big markup, no supply, long wait and lots of dealer added "options". "Want some fabric protections with that?":)

11. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

shins,

I went from Austin to Houston to Mike Calvert's, and beat my projected Austin delivery by about 6 months. The car didn't arrive the day they promised--you can see my tale about that on my post about my car being "lost", but I don't know that that was their fault. They were quite nice to me and quite patient with my questions during the time I was on the list; they were two freeway exits from my son's home near the Stella Link exit; and they came through much earlier that I could have gotten one here in Austin, although I had been on the Austin list 4 or 5 months before I talked to them. I probably will be using Champion in Austin for service, so that was not an issue. I read a comment on some (actual Toyota) site to the effect that Mike Calvert was great to deal with on purchases, but that their service department was not good. That is hearsay, however. I'm just glad to have my Prius.

12. ml194152

ml194152 Member

Last week, Joe Myers Toyota in Houston had one #5 and two #2's available, sitting on the lot. They wanted more than MSRP though.

13. cpwaites

cpwaites New Member

I was at Fred Haas Toyotaworld on Monday, and they had 4 sitting on the lot. One was sold. I think 2 of the others were Package 6s. The other didn't have NAV, but I don't recall which package it was. I didn't ask how they price.

By the way, they confimed that my oil was overfilled. Came from the factory that way. The service guy was "shocked" he said.

14. shins

shins New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bethmaup\";p=\"74088)</div>
    Thanks for your reply. This is useful information. I've been calling around dealerships today. Champion Toyota told me, without hesitation, 6 mos, but all the other dealerships (Ron Carter, Sterling McCall, Mike Calvert and Star) have all told me anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months, at sticker price. Seems like everywhere in Houston is sticker, so really, does it matter where I buy it? (Maybe only tinting costs could vary a little.)