1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Now that's more like it...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by AndyMartin826, Aug 2, 2006.

1. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I posted a couple weeks back on my first fillup, got a whopping 30.1 mpg, and pretty much figured that the dealer must have been idling the car for a while during the prep time, maybe the bladder didn't expand all the way, things like that. I was tired of looking at my Green Hybrid signature that showed 30.1 mpg, and I had done about half a tank (went to 5 pips today) since the last fillup about 2 1/2 weeks ago, so I filled up at lunch today. 285 miles, 5.019 gallons, puts me at 56.8 mpg for the tank. So, I'm not a defective driver after all, I feel redeemed :p

Edit: Looking at my post, looks like it takes a while for the Green Hybrid signature to refresh. Should say 40.0 mpg now. I feel like just throwing away that first tank anyway, not counting it.

2. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Aug 2 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]296572[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations!

Hey I hope this isn't a hijack type of question, but you filled up with 5 out of 10 pips right, forgive my memory lapse, I haven't driven all week?

I was curious what is the range by which one can say 'a tank'? That is what about 8 out of 10 pips? Of course, on the other extreme 0 out of 10 is definitely in need of filling up! LOL

Is there a thread someone can point me too that discusses the accuracy of mpg and pips left?

thanks,
    b

3. TidelandAZ

TidelandAZ New Member

Just wanted to say Welcome!. I moved from Gilbert, AZ to TN at the end of May. Bought my Tideland Prius at Superstition Springs.

I found that the summer months on the the 60 and I-10 took a toll on my MPG, but you'll be thrilled with the overall numbers.

Again, Welcome!

4. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TidelandAZ @ Aug 2 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]296643[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! We've been out here about a year now, thankfully I don't have to drive the 60 much. Pretty much take Elliot right into Tempe where I work. I can't wait to see what my mpg starts to look like when I don't have to run the AC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Aug 2 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]296643[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, refilling with 5 pips left isn't really a full tank, only 285 miles, but I was really tired of that 30.1 lifetime reading looking me in the face and I had to do something. :p That, and by filling up today, it's going to be a tossup on if I'll refill again before the month is out. I'm an MPG junkie, gotta have my fix you know :D

5. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Aug 2 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]296699[/snapback]</div>
    You know AZTriGuy, I would hazard to guess it is legitimate to just forget the first tank. Here's my reasoning you are starting your own habits and that first tank represents someone else's fill up habits.

Like another post suggested, and I never thought, of the amount of gas can vary simply from putting the hose on the last click thus pumping fast versus the second or first click, pumping slow. Again, dropping the first 'dealer' tank would make it more 'your lifetime average'. But eh, by the time you get to 30K plus like us, it really doesn't make that big a difference.

6. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Aug 2 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]296708[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, agreed, it's not going to make a huge difference when I get down the line. Hard to look at in the meantime when I've only got 600 miles on the car, though. I'm too much of a data geek, you should see the spreadsheet I developed to track lifetime averages. Not just MPG, but my driving habits too, avg miles per week, how long between fillups (not long so far, I can't take the suspense :lol: ), that kind of stuff. I love having that kind of stuff at my fingertips, real-time MPG in the car and lifetime at my desk. I'm going to leave the first tank in there, it is history after all. Like you said it will not make that much of a difference once I get some time on the car, maybe even as litte as a year down the road.

7. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Aug 3 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]297155[/snapback]</div>
    I hear ya, I track 18 different items, some due to checking on our rentals, you know, tax records, I haven't found temp all that useful yet, It might just be because we don't have much of a variation, top to bottom only a range of 20 degrees for like 98% of the year.