1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nowhere to put a backup smart key clicker??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bernie Ferrone, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Bernie Ferrone

Bernie Ferrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just purchased a 2007, after driving a 1st generation Insight. Much nicer ride. Went to the dealer and had a new key cut to get in the car in case I lost the clicker but as you all know, it is useless for starting the car. I thought I could "hide" a spare clicker in the car, but have discovered that won't work because the car won't lock with the clicker still in the car. Anyone have any ideas, solutions to this challenge? Thanks for any ideas.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    BTW, since it sounds like you have SKS (smartkey system) I hope you realize that the "clicker" is more than just a "clicker".

You don't need to push any buttons on it or take it of your your pocket to lock or unlock the doors nor start the car.

The only easy ways I can think of to hide a spare are to take its battery out or to put it in something that will totally shield RF well enough so that the antennas don't think the SKS is inside your car.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you must store a spare fob in the car, try wrapping it in aluminum foil to see if that will shield the RF energy.

4. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can purchase a used fob on Ebay and only program it to start your car when placed in the ignition slot. Then that fob can be safely hidden anywhere in the car as none of its remote functions will be functional. Combined with an extra mechanical key this makes an excellent spare to carry with you when traveling. You can leave your second smartkey fob safe and sound at home. Losing all your smartkey fobs is a problem that will cost many $$$'s to fix.

See this link for programming a used fob:

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

SFO likes this.
  5. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Actually, you can hide the spare fob in the car, and you will be able to lock the car with the other one. Just take the battery out of the spare that is hidden in the car. Then, when you open the car with the key and get the spare without the battery, the only thing different is that you then must put the battery-less spare into the slot to start the car.

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Taking the battery out of the FOB sounds good but I would take out the mechanical key and put it in the magnetic tray and attach that to the body of the car for emergencies.No battery to die at the wrong time...

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just use a metal box. Such as the ones some breath mints come in. Of course if a thief likes mints you could be in trouble. ;)

8. Bernie Ferrone

Bernie Ferrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone for their help. This is a great forum. Several posts have indicted that the dealer cannot reprogram a used fob like the ones on E Bay. I wrapped the second fob in alunimum foil and hid it in the car. I am now carrying around just a spare key and everything is working as it should.

9. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In my car, at least, the Altoids tins do not work. The Hershey's Truffles tins do.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The can must have a good electrical seal around the edges. Apparently the Altoids can isn't up to the task. Sometimes buffing or sanding the seal area will help.

Tom