1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NPR - Plugin Hybrids story today

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Begreen, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a story today on NPR's All Things Considered covering plugin hybrids. They referred to CalCars and interviewed Ron Gremban. Toyota responded, "We don't think owners want to 'have to' plugin their cars." CalCars rebutted, that plugging in is optional. When one wants to drive in the mountains, one can drive the car just like any other hybrid. The main issue is cost, which will remain high until the newest generation of lithium ion batteries achieve mass-production numbers.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5199197

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    pretty soon the AER Prius movement will be too big for Toyota to ignore

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm ready! If it was a question of cost, I would have gotten a pkg 1 to have this option.

(What's AER stand for Dave?)

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

AER = All Electric Range

coined by Dr. Andrew Frank of UC-Davis. he is one of the people most responsible for the plug in movement...he has been at it for OVER 30 years. he feels that an AER 60 mile Prius (a Prius that can go 60 miles in EV mode on a full charge) can be mass produced for about $5-6,000 over current costs.

5. berkley

berkley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=2
    this page on NPR also offeres audio replay of article...check it out!!

Business
    Can You Get More out of Your Hybrid?
    by Martin Kaste

Martin Kaste, NPR
    Ron Gremban shows off the power cord and extra batteries on his "hacked" '04 Prius, which he says gets him more than 100 mpg in city driving.

All Things Considered, February 9, 2006 · A tiny group of enthusiasts in California say they've demonstrated how to push your Prius to get as many as 99.9 miles per gallon -- if you're willing to plug it in overnight. Toyota says that although the idea is intriguing, it's not ready for prime time.

Related NPR Stories
    Feb. 2, 2006
    A Gas-Electic Hybrid Camry for Middle America
    Jan. 16, 2006
    Automakers Unveil New Hybrids at Detroit Show
    Jan. 16, 2006
    Cities Offer Free Parking to Hybrid Drivers
    Sep. 30, 2005
    Do Hybrid Cars Save Money?
    Aug. 17, 2005
    Reconsidering Hybrids in the Carpool Lane
    June 15, 2005
    Bush Urges Domestic, Alternative Energy Sources
    Business
    Can You Get More out of Your Hybrid?
    by Martin Kaste

6. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I'll take an AER-PHEV please. It would fit our driving habits pretty well. We're ready for silent running. Er, does that make it the SR model ;) ?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Over and over again, we keep hearing reports about electric augmentation of Prius. You know, replacing the NiMH battery-pack with a Li-Ion to provide significantly higher storage capacity for much greater electric motor use. It's wonderful hearing about that potential already built into the design, but where's the data to support the MPG claims?

Are they really expecting to convince people that this is the future we should embrace now with nothing but a short test-drive story? We need real-world numbers spanning long-term ownership experiences. That is how you generate interest... which I know extraordinarily well from feedback about my website over the past 5.5 years.

To establish the plug-in hybrid market, they must first establish a presence. It's that simple, yet they still haven't taken that next step. All we have gotten so far is just the introduction. When will on-going reports begin? The brilliant engineering in Prius wasn't a success until owners starting sharing stories about their experiences. We want to know what that rather expensive investment will actually deliver. Show me the data!!!

8. larryenok

larryenok New Member

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nice story but the "tag" line was something like Prius gets 90 mpg. What about the 4 guys that got over 100 mpg over one day!! Wonder if we could have an impact on them. While I am in favor of plugins I also want people to change how they drive!

10. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good questions. The prius+ yahoo group probably has the most complete data. This is a good place to start: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/priusplus/message/545.
    Ron Gremban has logged over a year on a Prius+ now. It's moving past proof of concept and he has stopped tracking day to day, but reports an overall average of about 87 mpg this Dec. with non-optimal batteries. Now a business must be built upon the results. That is a harder and in some ways riskier process, especially if manufacturers start competing with retrofit shops in the next year or two.

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd easily pay 5-6K extra. I'd have gotten a package one though. With my typical driving patterns I could save a ton on gas with just a AER 20mi vehicle. With a 60 I'd almost never buy gas. And now that I'm in the habit of plugging in my block heater it wouldn't be much different for me at all. Paying almost nothing in gas would be excellent. This would be a great investment for fixed income folks, if they could swing the upfront costs.

12. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi John, don't worry this data will come!

Edrive have full order books for Plug-in Priuses that are to be evaluated by various fleets and government bodies around the country. They will surely be used in "real-world" day-in day-out settings and the experiences of these groups (particularly of mpgs etc) will surely filter down through the media etc to the rest of us.

The general public won't shell out $12k for the conversions but these guys will, and that's where the real data will come from. If the reports turn out to be good, then Toyota will likely be the first to market with an all-electric-range factory option.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Filtering is the problem.

Sharing of raw data is what actually sells the product, since that allows us to draw our own conclusions.

Do you really think we'll ever get to see spreadsheets of real-world usage, documenting every single fill-up over the course of several years?

14. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is great!

To paraphrase a post abobe:

How much longer can Toyota ignore this market? More and more people demans these cars, the technology is alradye here!

Ohh, and see the 2nd line in my signature!

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I'm aware, owners don't want to 'have to' keep visiting petrol stations...

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    :lol: :lol:

17. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ROFL... this is so true... everyone I talk to first say 'so I have to plug it in every nitgh, what a hassle' and then when I say 'yeah, it's a 'huge' cost to pay to never have to go to a gas station again'. Several people have changed their mind after that. And after showing them the Toyota Rav IV thet are amazed that these cars are not available... so am I! Toyota? GM? FORD? are you listening?

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure they will be glad to do so if you just ask.

And did you have spread sheets from every fill up of a Prius before you got your first one? Also, your "people want to see the raw data" comment is laughable. Very very few people care about fine details like that. You do, I do, and a number of us geeks on PriusChat and elsewhere do, but not everyone.

Frankly, I'm much less concerned about seeing a spread sheet for every tank/fill up and much more concerned about battery management in PHEVs. I'm personally aware of one 'home brewed' PHEV who ended up having to have the NiMH replaced (under warranty) after just over a year of having the vehicle moded with additional battery power. That said, I'm aware of another user who's had his Prius with extra batteries (not PHEV that I'm aware of) for over 100k miles of use and 2.5 years with no reports of battery problems.

I think the biggest issues will be:
    1)Capacity--probably Li+ will go a long way to resolve those issues
    2)Battery management....There must be a means of avoiding charging above 70% or so and discharging below 50% while still having adequate capacity to get the range folks want.
    3)Top EV speed--Unless/until the 34mph limit can be up adjusted to closer to 45mph I think resistance to PHEV will be pretty high at the anticipated cost.
    4)Cost.

19. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually I think we will.

When the Prius and Insight first came to the US market, a couple of US government bodies (the DOE and one other one? sorry, not sure which now) bought them and performed every test you can imagine on them (including stripping them down to the cogs and performing exhaustive and frankly anal energy calculations).

But they also tested real-life mpgs over several months, many thousands of miles and made all that information publicly available on the internet.

With PHEVs currently receiving the kind of national interest they are right now, I suspect the same thing (ie a thorough independent and impartial analysis) will happen for the PHEVs rolling out of EDrives conversion workshops.

But perhaps more significantly, as Efusco has already pointed out, there WILL be some geek who will gladly hand over $12k for the ultimate Prius mod and he'll almost certainly be posting his results on a tankly (if not daily!) basis on here and on all the other hybrid forums!

So.... who's it going to be???? ;) (Sorry, not me as don't have the cash!)

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    YES!

In fact, that is what helped to establish the online presence of Prius owners. Remember, I am one of founders. And many, many people have used my data as ammunition to fight off the anti-hybrid, including people working for Toyota.

And don't be silly, I never even implied that "everyone" would care. It's only the power people that will use it, like the active members of this forum.

Price is the fundamental weakness of current "battery upgrade" effort, making it unrealistic right now. Very fortunately though, older Prius can be upgraded years after purchase. So later when the prices do come down significantly, a surprising number of owners could take advantage of the opportunity... a brand new concept in the automotive industry. Never in history would such a significant improvement be embraced by so many for their used cars. And just think what that will do for resell potential!