1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

*NSFW* Almost trading my Prius in, am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rondocap, Jun 13, 2013.

?
  1. Prius!

34 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. GTI

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, so last july I got my Prius Plugin. I drive about 2,000 to 2,500 miles a month.

I really do think it's a very efficient car and mostly good. At first I had an issue with it being uncomfortable, which were fixed by adding leather to it.

There is no denying that it's very efficient. Feels good to fill up for under $30 and go far.

My issue; I'm bored as can be driving it. I just don't look forward to driving it. At first the whole MPG thing got my attention, but now it's like pushing a vacuum cleaner.

Second issue: I leased it, and obviously will go over the allotted miles and have to pay for them - but my intention was to buy it out at the end of the lease anyway.

So what's my situation? I may trade it in for a nice Volkswagen GTI, manual and fully loaded with nav/leather/etc. It gets about 22 MPG city and 31 MPG highway. I know, not 55mpg - but I've owned a GTI before and it will be much more engaging to drive. Plus I'd not be leasing, just financing it.

I've basically gotten an offer to switch it out for the Prius, thus me not having much negative equity normally associated with lease early buyouts. I'd be as upside down on the GTI as I would be on the Prius lease so it's a wash, and I don't lose any money out of pocket.

Basically dealer will give me $25k for my base Prius Plugin, which is pretty good considering how far they've dropped.

Oh, but the MPG is so good...help me out here guys. Am I wrong to trade it in for a little fun?

Notes:

I also have a paddle shifting BMW 335i, but the prius/GTI is my DD.
    I use the car for work; I give estimates and things of that nature at homes. Obviously the Prius is more neutral, and the GTI a bit more boyish, but in the color/rims I am getting it's not too flashy so should not stand out. (I want fun driving, but neutral outside for people not to notice too much)

2. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I personally haven't gotten tired of the challenge to get good mileage. But if you really need more umph, aren't there other options out there with better mileage?

3. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are; mainly the diesel TDI cars. But I just have not found one that excites me like the GTI.

4. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And if you're driving up to 100 miles a day you could consider the Rav4 EV. Can be efficient if you go easy on it, and will drive like a bat out of hell if you want. Definitely engaging.... but the range would have to work for your needs. I'm getting 130 range per charge, but I drive easy.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car doesn't make you happy then get rid of it. Life is too short.

TheEnglishman, Chris S, WE0H and 3 others like this.
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP,
    Spell out the trade-in terms. All of them, if you can.

Cash down,
    Taxes
    Interest rates
    Term

You already know that your monthly fuel bill will ~ double.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that you have been offered a similar monthly payment, but for a long time.

You should at least know how much your 'fun' is going to cost.
    Also, do you use HOV lanes ?

rondocap likes this.
  7. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sagebrush, I am glad you asked. I owe about 26k on the prius, 11 months into a 3 year lease. They will give me 25k for it.

The car i want is $25k, and $574 in DMV fees. They said something about the trade in covering the tax. No cash down. I'm sure this car could be $24k but they keep the value up to counter the prius negative equity it seems.

So basically I'd have the same $26k balance I do now. Did not choose payment term length yet. Or get rates.
    My credit is good though.

Does this sound right? They do a lot of games with numbers so it can get confusing...

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How is the amount owed on the Prius calculated ? Perhaps a better number to know is your current monthly payment and lease buy-out amount.
    Did you receive a Tax credit you will have to return ?
    Does CA calculate sales tax as the difference between new car and trade-in value ?

9. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's the payoff from Toyota. I'm in nj so I think the trade in affects the tax.

10. D-Man

D-Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How about trading in the BMW for the GTI? Then you have a sporty car and a fuel efficient car.

Godzuki and SageBrush like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Somebody else is looking for that PiP.

Bob Wilson

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before you do that, go and test drive a Volt. You apparently get better EV in exchange for lower FE when you use gas. GM's incentives on Volts are big right now. Volt drivers suggest Sport+Low for best driving experience.

(I could suggest trying to get a test drive of a Model S, but that is apparently a very risky thing to do.)

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on the Volt.

14. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest keeping your Prius. I thought really hard about the GTI, but the price omission was too high for me. Premium gas and the MPG. I have been driving hybrids for too long. But, the main reason was that it's the last model year for the current design. The new 2015 coming out in 2014 looks great and gets better MPG with more horsepower. I would have gotten the GTI if it was available.

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, When I clicked this thread, I expected talk about trading for Volt or Tesla. At least that would be my own trade in path when I'm bored with my Prius. I typically get bored with cars closer to 10 years.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I suppose I am lucky in a way. I find ALL cars boring, at least for highway driving.

They all have a seat and a wheel, and the driver has to push a pedal for hours.

vietalogy likes this.
  17. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'd never consider trading my Prius for any VW car, ever. All VW cars I've had experience with don't age well, and I've been under impressed with their quality. Plus replacement parts are ridiculously priced

billinmd and JMD like this.
  18. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll second that. No more VWs for me, though my fiancee really wants a Beetle for her next car. :banghead

19. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Run away from those damn things. my sister and law had an 2005 that thing was f-ing junk

20. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2004 Passat with 340k miles begs to differ, but everyone's ownership experience is different.