1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nuclear Fusion in the News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by fshagan, May 27, 2007.

1. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A promising technology exists ... with the first testable units built in 1959 (yes, 1959) to use fusion for electrical generation.

From http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9721240-7.html

The Power and Control Blog has more on the technology, including links to more detailed descriptions of how it works. But the pertinent recap for those of us less technically minded is there also:

Electrical production on a large scale from a source such as this, which produces the energy without radiation, CO2 emissions, or most other problems associated with energy production today, could make the EV car the wave of the future. Forget hydrogen fuel cells, give me electrons!

2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

If they can find a way to make it work, I'm all for it! Unfortunately, I doubt they'll receive the kind of backing they need because of the continued skepticism throughout the years caused by fraudulent claims.

I hope I'm wrong in this. I pray that I'm merely being cynical, because we need power sources like this.

3. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Even better future power source....Robert Brussard an american physist has been working on a technology that uses electric confinement for fusion power. THIS IS GREAT!!!! All he needs is funding for is company in order to build his next reactor. He is saying around 100MW reactor that would fit in a truck trailer andthe possibilty of replacing ALL the coal fired boilers as a retrofit with these units.

Check out their site and make a donation (I will)
    http://www.emc2fusion.org/

As Dr Brussard says in 5 years we will see the end of the fossil fuel economy for power generation.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't waste your money. If none of the venture cap people or government grant folks see promise in it, I suspect there isn't any thing there but empty promises.

Why would he deny the world the end of fossil fuel in 2 - 5 years by not accepting government money?

5. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 5 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]456235[/snapback]</div>
    I know about government grants and funding. It takes a long time to get a solid grant and he had one that was not paid in full. According to Brussard the Navy DARPA pulled his funding because 'We don't do fusion projects'. Right now SpaceDev holds the hardware and is going to fund some of the follow on research but I think the venture Cap people are a bit gun shy because of 'Cold Fusion' and most want a quicker return on their money (He says 5-10 years, closer to 5). Right now he needs 2-3million so he can build a version 7 and 8 of the reactor to show that it does work. I think that is when the venture cap people will show up.

BTW. Brussard is not a salesman and his demos and slides show it, they are very simple and often hand written. But what he is, is a real physist and has decades of nuclear power experience.