1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Number of Teen Drivers is In Decline

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rokeby, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    More teens are choosing to wait to get driver's licenses
    By Donna St. George
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, January 24, 2010

"The quest to get a driver's license at 16 -- long an American rite of passage
    -- is on the wane among the digital generation, which no longer sees the
    family car as the end-all of social life.

"Federal data released Friday underscore a striking national shift: 30.7 percent
    of 16-year-olds got their licenses in 2008, compared with 44.7 percent in 1988.

The difference is even sharper in Virginia and Maryland, state figures show.
    Numbers from the District, which go back to 2003, show a decline in the past
    two years.

20090804-baby-with-ipod.jpg
    photo: Ted Johnson/Creative Commons via flickr

"A generation consumed by Facebook and text-messaging, by Xbox Live and
    smartphones, no longer needs to climb into a car to connect with friends. And
    although many teens are still eager to drive, new laws make getting a license
    far more time-consuming, requiring as many as 60 supervised driving practice
    hours with an adult.

"Rob Foss, director of the Center for the Study of Young Drivers at the
    University of North Carolina, and others suggest that these "graduated"
    state licensing systems -- which have created new requirements for learner's
    permits, supervised practice hours, night driving and passengers in the car --
    are responsible for much of the decline in the number of licensed 16-year-
    olds. At the same time, drivers' education has been cut back in some public
    schools, so families must scrounge up money -- often $300 to $600 -- for
    private driving schools."

Best quote; "the new BMW; Bike, Walk, Metro."

Full article: washingtonpost.com (Requires free sign in.)

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is great. And hopefully when they DO earn their license they're responsible and buy a hybrid!

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those driving exam dudes won't let me text while taking my test! It's totally unfair! How do they expect me to go a whole 15 minutes without texting?

2 people like this.
  4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I know when i turned 16, there wasn't a real big rush to get my license. It was until i was 18 that i actually got my own car, so I was still reliant on the parents. My group of friends consisted of mostly people my own age in my neighborhood (aka i could easily walk or bike to their place, which i still did after i got my own car) and a few older friends who would do all the driving anyways. So no real pressure to get it the moment i turned 16. I want to say i waited a good 6 months before taking the test.

5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Must be a generation thing. In the Dark Ages when I was a teen having a license and a car (even access to the family car) was an ABSOLUTE MUST. In Oklahoma they offered a license for small motorcycles at age 14. I had the motorcycle for a year before being legal age and learned to ride by circling our 2 acres over and over. The day of my birthday I was in line to get the license before they opened. When I turned 16, I already had the car and was first to take the drivers test on the day of my birthday. Waiting even a day was simply not an option! Kids who turned 16 on Sunday were impossible to live with until the DMV opened the next day.

I am mystified by the difference today. A friend of mine has a step-son who was 18 before he got his license, and then only reluctantly. And this kid had a brand new Mustang waiting in the garage from his father. It sat for 2 years before the kid was even interested enough to get the license. Granted, when he did get one he sold the new 6 cylinder automatic Mustang and bought a used 5-speed V8 GT, so that might explain some of it.

6. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a weirdo - I didn't get my license until after I had graduated college AND had been working for a few months. On the up side that allowed me to save up enough money to get my first (and only other) car - my beloved used Camry. Actually, come to think of it, I didn't even learn to drive until after college as well.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grandpa didn't get his license until age 45. As a teacher in various isolated Alaskan villages, there was no need.

When he moved back to the lower 48 and had the need, DMV did not believe that he had never been licensed, and wondered what he was trying to hide.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't get my license until I was 20. It helped having a girlfriend at the time who wasn't within walking distance.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My two are 16 and 21, and neither one has shown any real interest in getting their licence. Nor have most of their friends, who pretty much all have transit passes - not to mention parents who still drive them places. I know quite a few people, some of them senior citizens, who have never had a licence or a car.

10. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm stunned, Hyo. Just stunned.

Maybe even when I was a kid there were those in my school who didn't bother to get a license. But we were True Gearheads and were building engines and riding mini-bikes in Middle (Junior High) School, so I guess that explains it.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone point out that there are fewer teens in general?

Tom