1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

numerous warning lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mark Frederickson, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Mark Frederickson

Mark Frederickson New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the brake system warning, engine malfunction indicator, master warning and vehicle stability control system warning lights all on simultaneously. There are no strange noises while driving. Is the car safe to drive to the Toyota dealer 15 miles away?

2. Mark Frederickson

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An update to my post above. My mechanic hooked up his diagnostic tool and the code came back as the battery control system. Can anyone give me insight into the repair required and a ballpark cost to repair. Many thanks in advance.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you post the code?

Brian1954 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As the battery control system yeah for which battery that's the only question to ask him and get the real code PO whatever it is you know something what does he want to repair on your car? What is that code involve to him as far as you understand it? That's why you want to have the real code for places like this where folks may know and then Google the code and you can get all the internet jargon which these days is pretty good you know You don't have to worry usually about Google lying about your codes on your car that's generally not like that. But with all those lights on like that generally I'm looking for a break problem or communications in break or body computers that have failed on the bus network within the car for a reason because the 12 volt failed something I don't think this is got anything to do with your HV battery as most of these components were talking about at the moment pretty much run off the 12 volt. And generally at the beginning of some break problems on this particular model which I own a few of The lights come on and there's no real big change in breaking performance but that's coming so you want to be prepared for that when you hear any beeping or anything like that your brakes are going to be like a 1955 truck with no booster on the firewall just the master cylinder two feet on the brake pedal type of situation could be other than that the rest of the time you have good breaks but no ABS. But you still have regenerative braking when you take your foot off the gas and the whatever mode it is you see the blue lines moving when you're off the gas That's your regenerative braking working when you pull the lever down to be you feel the car slowing down regenerative braking that is stayed working on all of my cars with all of the brake problems I have one right now in the throes of the brake actuator failure I drive it everyday sometimes a hundred miles a day No issue so far when it beeps I know to allow extra stopping distance that's all and not a lot either. Apparently they've made these Prius models so that you can never not have brakes I'm waiting to see if I ever not have brakes so far no sir brakes all the time different style of breaking possibly but the brakes work a frantic woman could stop the car.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We need more information. A Gen2 Prius has 14-16 different systems. Most scantools cannot read codes or data from all systems.

That combination of warning lights come on when there's some kind of fault with the hybrid drive system.

There are likely codes in the braking system that say "hey, the Hybrid Control ecu says it has a problem". The Hybrid Control ecu likely has a P3000, that says "hey, the High Voltage battery ecu says it has a problem".

There are still a few dozen possible codes in the HV battery ecu - so you need the specific codes before anyone can give any meaningful advice.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The mech couldn’t help?

7. Mark Frederickson

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies and helpful information. My general mechanic didn't want to work on my hybrid Prius so I took it to the Toyota dealer today. The scan tool code is P0A80 (Replace Hybrid Battery Pack). Most battery blocks voltage is above 14 except for 3 (13.89), 4 (13.59), 8 (13.70)and 9 (12.87). They also noted I should replace the battery voltage ECU. Estimate to replace HV battery and ECU is $4182. The mechanic extinguished the warning lights and they did not reappear on the 15-mile drive home. The vehicle has 65,000 original miles and the brakes seem a bit grabby to me. A non-Toyota mechanic told me the brakes were fine three months ago. If I truly need a new hybrid battery I'm considering an after-market solution. I would value your thoughts and suggestions. Many thanks in advance. Mark

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with tampa hybrids. if they do gen 2, it might be substantially cheaper.

also, autobeyours/spacecoast hybrids in titusville

#8 bisco, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They can feel like that when you're not used to them. The brake works really well, mostly due to using regen for the majority of normal braking.
    You truly need a new battery but I'd stay away from any kind of reconditioned/remanned/remanufactured "solution" (except for a very few select operators) unless you want to be dealing with battery issues on a yearly (or more frequent) basis.
    That is too much. Shop around dealers and get a better quote. The MSRP on the battery is $1950 (some online dealer parts departments sell them for $1620) and labor should be ~$600 to ~$800 to install it. The battery ECU should be ~$800 if new, but you can find pristine examples secondhand for $200 to $300. You can push back against even replacing the battery battery ECU unless there are obvious signs of corrosion on the ECU pins.