1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NuShield now has a Prius MFD protector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hdrygas, Mar 18, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  2. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just ordered a screen protector from them. When I went to the buy page it showed a different protector for the '06 and a qty of 2, instead of 1 for the '04-'05, for the same price. I didn't think the MFD was a different size on the '06. So guess I'll wait and see what I get. Hope it's 2. :D

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ May 1 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]247915[/snapback]</div>
    I only got one take your time getting it in so you don't bend it. I have one small crease in mine I don't think others see it but I do! I think it really helps with screen glare!

4. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    are these glossy are matte finish?

do they eliminate fingerprints?

5. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bagwell @ May 1 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]248079[/snapback]</div>
    My questions as well. Thank you for asking.

When going to order it I noticed it said some require adhesive around the edges. Is our Prius the type that require that adhesive or the kind that slips in?

Does this protector also help with the glear on the screensimilar to the screen cover?

Thank you
    Roger3125

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got mine today and I would like to say this is a great product!

I bought the one from Sigma and it was a “stick on†flimsy type. I had problems with air bubbles and some dust under it. One piece of dust was big enough to create a good size air bubble after a few days. It keep coming back. :angry: It was still a good product but I had problems with it.

When I got the one from NuShield I noticed it was just a piece of stiffer plastic. No adhesive! As the instructions say “When finished, the NuShield will “float†on top of the screen and is held by flaps that extend into the gap between the screen and the caseâ€. One side did have a different texture to it but if it was not for the “post it note†they put on it I would not know which side was which. The finish is about the same as the MFD. Maybe a little shinier. Its hard to tell.

It was a pain to put in. The NuShield version is over sized so it will stay in place in the gaps. It took about 15 min to get all the sides to fit under the gap without creasing the plastic. After it was in place it snapped flat down. I did have a very very small crease but the screen had to be off and you had to have a light at the right angle to see it. When the screen was on you cant even tell the NuShield is in place.

I would recommend this product to anyone. Its well worth the money. As far as finger prints, your still going to have to clean the screen once in a while. Get a pack of Klear Screen wipes when you check out. These are also well worth the money.

I love Sigma, their parts, their customer service, and will continue to buy my Prius parts from them but the screen protector they sell is no match for the NuShield. Sorry Edward. Maybe you can make a deal with NuShield and sell their version also?

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is a pain to install. That is clear. First there is the protective film that has to come off. That is discarded and the stiff plastic is fitted under the edges of the plastic bezel at the edge of the screen so the cover floats over the screen. It is matt finish and does not show finger prints as much and does reduce glare. I think they are much nicer than the stick on protectors. You can remove it clean both sides and the screen and reinstall. I did mine on a cold day next time I will warm the car up before I install it.

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You had to peel off some film? Mine just had a post it note that said this side faced the screen.

9. NuShield Guy

NuShield Guy New Member

Hello, everyone.

I am NuShield Guy and since our products have been mentioned here, I thought I'd join up and help answer a few questions that have been raised. I own an '06 Pruis (this is our second, our '05 had an argument with a concrete culvert - not recommended!) and we have been working on developing a film for this navigation screen. The oil coating on this nav screen required a special film which has just become available. It is sold with the mask removed since the masking process for this run did not go as well as we hoped. The mask is difficult to remove, so we do it for you.

Note that we stand behind our products 100%. If for any reason you have a problem or, in particular, if you damaged or crimped the film in any way during installation, please contact us. We routinely replace films that have been damaged in an installation attempt.

If you have a question about your order, please contact us directly at [email protected] and we will answer you promptly. General questions about our products can be directed this forum and I will be monitoring it on an occasional basis.

Thanks for all your support.

NuShield Guy

10. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. That explains the post it note. :D I don't think I need mine replace because the crease is soo small I don't see it unless the screen is off and the sun hits it just right or you shine a light on it just right. Only seen it 1 time and that was just after the install. Its good to know that you have great support and back you product 100%

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShield Guy @ May 8 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]251476[/snapback]</div>
    NuShild Guy,
    Thanks for taking the time to participate in the PC forums. I purchased a product from you about 1.5-2 years ago that you were selling in very limited amounts due to difficulty of obtaining the special product.

Is the new product you're selling the same thing or something new or different from that?

Also, I strongly encourage you to contact the site owner, Danny, at [email protected] to consider becoming a site sponsor and working up a group buy/discount for this product. Previous group buys on various products have resulted in some pretty dramatic sales.

12. NuShield Guy

NuShield Guy New Member

The film we are now using is treated differently on each side. The back side treatment prevents the oil coating on the screen from etching the back side of the screen protector and also provides protection from optical distortion. The film top side has an antiglare treatment that also tends to hide fingerprints and is very scratch resistant. These films use no adhesive and are cut specifically for your Prius to slip under the case and be held securely. Note that the films for the older models (up to '05) are shaped very differently from the newer '06 model as the screen changed in this year. The new screen is much tighter in design and has far less room under the case than the older models.

As for contacting the manager of this list, they have already contacted us, so stay tuned!

NuShield Guy

13. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShield Guy @ May 8 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]251527[/snapback]</div>
    "Installed" mine this weekend. Product is exactly as described-less glare, much less fingerprint evidence after 2 days of use, good fit. I'm happy.

14. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

If this becomes a PC store item, I'm buying it in a heartbeat.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

For those of us who are interested, will it be in the PC store soon?

16. NuShield Guy

NuShield Guy New Member

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShield Guy @ May 8 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]251476[/snapback]</div>
    I must have gotten an early model, and yes that film is a real pain to remove. Evil words and comments about someone's parentage are still circling the Earth. It took twice as long to remove as the install! It is a light blue film right or did I get the wrong thing? It sure fits well!

18. NuShield Guy

NuShield Guy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 9 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]252477[/snapback]</div>

Yes, you have the correct film. The blue mask was supposed to be tested by our supplier under conditions that simulated the film tempertures during processing, but they did not do a very good job and the film sticks with too much force. As a result, we now routinely remove the mask on this particular film and put a sticky note on to show which side is which. One of the reasons for the mask is to allow customer to figure out which side goes up and which down.

19. glarnerman

glarnerman Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShield Guy @ May 8 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]251476[/snapback]</div>
    I just purchased a NuShield MFD protector for our new 2006 Prius. It took awhile to install as noted by several other posters. It was not easy to get both the MFD and NuShield free of dust. A combination of the KlearScreen wipes purchased with the NuShield and some canned air worked best for me. However, I ended up removing the NuShield after 1 day of use. It simply is not compatible with polarizing sunglasses (a must for me when I drive) because of the "color banding" effect often seen in plastics viewed through this type of sunglasses. I think this information should be clearly stated on the NuShield product page. I didn't see any mention of problems viewing the MFD through a NuShield if you wear polarizing sunglasses. Had I been given this information I never would have considered the product. It turned out to be a waste of $$ for me.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glarnerman @ May 11 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]253484[/snapback]</div>
    i will try it tomorrow!