1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NY Blood Center shortage!

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by ScottY, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi fellow NYers,
    Since I'm a blood donor, the NY Blood Center called me today. They urge me to schedule for blood donation because they are currently in shortage. They have locations throughout NY and NJ, http://www.nybloodcenter.org/donationlocat...0=2&sid1=45, and many of them open till 7PM or later. I already schedule an appointment for next Monday. I encourage you guys to help out as well. You might save a life!

Cheers. :)

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's sounds like a good idea. I've only given once and it didn't hurt a bit. Have you ever tried to donate plasma? After my donation they said I would be a good candidate for plasma donation, but the procedure scared me.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Apr 11 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]421893[/snapback]</div>
    It takes longer - that's all

Anything other than whole blood they put your blood in a centriguge to separate whatever you are donating:

- double red blood cells (every 128 days)

- plasma (every month - for burn victims - equals 3 whole blood donations)

- platlets (up to 24 times a year - for trauma and leukemia patients - equals 8-12 whole blood donations)

4. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 12 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]421909[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe it was platlets I was thinking of. The one that scares me is the procedure where the blood comes out of one arm, goes into a machine and then back into the other arm.

5. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Apr 11 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]421914[/snapback]</div>
    They do that for double red blood cells, too. Although it obviously isn't blood coming back in ... it's plasma. I did it once and it really wasn't that bad. It took a little longer than the standard "manual" blood donation, but that was it.

I've been asked to be a platelet pheresis donor, but I haven't been able to block off 2 hours to do it.

Here's some info from the Central Jersey Blood Center: http://www.cjbcblood.org/platelets.php

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I switched from whole blood to platelet donation about 4 yrs ago. Over that time there has been substantial improvement in the pheresis macines. The best now IMHO are the single-needle machines where you can't feel the flow reversing. Think they are called Tremas.

All of the double needle machines present two disadvantages: Not everyone has good veins in both arms (as required), and them both nailed down (so to speak) you have to call for assistance if your nose itches. It is amazing how soon you will feel the need to itch something when neither of your hands are available.

In the US, seemingly, all blood products are always in critically short supply. Anything you could do would be helpful. Just start small and see how much you can fit into your life.

Donation centers are excellent places to meet emergency services personnel. Seems they are among the most dedicated donors. I find that quite humbling.

If you have any reason to suspect that you may have a blood-borne disease, please please please do not use blood products donation as a way to get tested for that. Get tested somewhere else. All donations are screened very thoroughly, but some positives can slip through. Receiving contaminated blood products can turn a blessing into a curse.

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Apr 12 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]422005[/snapback]</div>
    Very correct on the machines - they are faster. A double platlet donation that took 2.5 hours is now 1.5 hours for me.

FDA form asks about 60 questions - 4-5 test tubes are used to test for various diseases. The donatains you make can defer the cost of transfusions for friends and family.

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Apr 11 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]421893[/snapback]</div>
    Trevor, I didn't try to donate plasma. They said my blood has very high platelets count. So I might donate platelets as well.

9. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think this bears repeating for all PC members...

no matter what your state, if you're able, this is one of the great things you can do to help folks at no real cost to yourself. (Except time.) I do double cells every four months, and am always glad to do it. (Even though the lip-tingling thing when the plasma is pumping back in is WEIRD...)

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Apr 12 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]422165[/snapback]</div>
    What you can do is, donate plasma and red blood cells. Then before 56 days have passed, donate just plasma up to eight times.

With your high platlet count you might be able to do a triple platlet donation - enough platlets to equal as much as 16 whole blood donations!

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 12 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]422188[/snapback]</div>
    Men, this conversation is creeping me out, whats wrong with the common vampires?....

12. Wuisme

Wuisme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not only is this "creepy", I'm not sure what all of this has to do with the Pruis Hybrid?

13. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wuisme @ Apr 14 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]423145[/snapback]</div>
    While this topic isn't directly related to Prius, I was thinking that the Prius owners in general are nice people, they would be willing to spend maybe an hour of their time that might save lives of others. The process isn't "creepy" at all.

Plus, blood donation is actually GOOD for you! See http://live.nybloodcenter.org/education/ab...0=3&sid1=14, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_donation#Benefits