1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NY Clean Pass HOV: 2010 Prius qualifies but not 2010 Insight

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Jul 30, 2009.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    UPDATE (July 2, 2009):
    The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has recently added the following models to the eligibility list:

2010 Toyota Prius

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles will begin issuing Clean Pass stickers to these vehicles beginning July 8, 2009. Please contact DMV at 1 (518) 486-9786, menu option 7 to obtain your stickers. As a reminder, Commercial Vehicles are prohibited from the left and HOV lanes of the Long Island Expressway, regardless of eligibility for the program.

No other models qualify for the program at this point. Please note that the 2010 Honda Insight does not meet the criteria and therefore is not eligible for the program.

Source: https://www.nysdot.gov/programs/clean-pass

3 people like this.
  2. gebjeff

gebjeff New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Virginia issues "Special Clean Fuel" plates that can be used on the Dulles Toll Road and I-66. Do you know if these plates would also be valid on the LIE?

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think so. You need to have the Clean Pass stick on the bumper in order to drive in the HOV lane with a single driver. I have seen Priuses with NJ plates without Clean Pass sticker because you need to be a NY resident to get one. I have even seen a Prius with NY plate pulled over because he did not have the Clean Pass bumper sticker.

Do you know if both the 2010 Prius and Insight qualifies for Virgina "Special Clean Fuel" plate? I thought I have read about Virgina not allowing hybrids to be on the HOV lanes anymore?

4. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A few years ago, due to congestion in the HOV lanes on I-95 and I-395, VA stopped issuing the original exempt license plates and instead issued blue exempt plates. These are still valid for the HOV exemption on the Dulles Toll Road and I-66 but they are not valid on I-95 or I-395 coming up through Virginia toward DC.

If you had the original unrestricted exempt plates and bought a new replacement hybrid, you can transfer the original plates to your new car.

Stu

5. JasonPro

JasonPro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are out of staters able to get the exemption on the Dulles Toll Road and I-66? I'm in MD. Although, I must admit that I don't commute down there so I would rarely not have two or more if I were there.

6. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, no. VA doesn't recognize other state's hybrid exemptions. Regardless, and as far as I know, MD does not have any such exemptions on any of the major highways in the state.

Stu

7. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Stu:

I believe they changed that rule. If you get rid of the original hybrid that got you the original plates with the 95/395 exemption, you lose the plates and the exemption.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a reason why the Insight II doesn't qualify? It is a very clean vehicle and close enough to the Prius (or better?) that I cannot see why they would make such a choice.

9. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jim,
    If the state of Virginia changed the rules regarding transfer of a "grandfathered" Clean Special Fuels plate, it was done after July 1. I replaced my 2004 Prius with a 2010 Prius in June, 2009, and the dealer simply transferred the old Clean Special Fuels tags to the new car. No blue restricted tags were necessary. I am still able to take advantage of the 95/395 HOV exemption while driving my new car with the older plates. Fortunately, I don't need to. My HOV lane commute is on I-66 from the Fairfax County Parkway to Rosslyn and on into D.C.
    Stu

10. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went to the website and noticed that this sticker only applies to driving the Long Island Expressway, which I almost never do. Too bad it doesn't apply to all NYS HOV lanes.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The requirement is the same as CA HOV lane access. I believe the vehicle must get at least 45 MPG with SULEV emission standard.

1 person likes this.
  12. fred s

fred s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To clarify, it is a USEPA rating of 45 MPG, not a readout on the dash, or my VW TDi would also be cleanpass eligible!

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CR-Z won't qualify so it won't be a great commuter car for those who want to take advantage of the HOV lane.

14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure why it doesn't qualify for different States HOV benefits, but I understand the Honda Insights engine emits rather high (in relation to the Prius) levels of NOx. The Prius is a good all rounder - low fuel economy AND low harmful emission levels, whereas the Insight and most diesels (US & European ones) struggle on the NOx.

I could be wrong and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am, but the above is my understanding. :eek:

15. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And it's only good on the LIE HOV lanes in Nassau and Suffolk Counties....it's not good on the Queens -Midtown HOV lane.

I tried to get a permit to use on Florida's HOV lanes, but they do not have reciprocity with other states.
    That is something the states should get together on.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Under the New York Clean Pass program, a qualifying vehicle must have an estimated EPA fuel rating of at least 45 mpg and meet certain emissions standards (but I don't know what those are).

Here's what the New York Clean Pass website says:

"As part of the Strategic Energy Action Plan, the program will expand the use of energy-efficient vehicles, providing Long Island commuters with incentives to save money, gas and time, while reducing stress during the daily commute on the LIE. Motorists whose estimated US EPA fuel economy rating averages at least 45 miles per gallon and meets certain US EPA strict emissions standards will be allowed to participate by applying to the State Department of Motor Vehicles.

Clean Pass is a multi-agency pilot program partnering three New York State agencies, the State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), the State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), and the State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). The recent passage of the federal transportation bill, Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) enabled states to allow low emission and energy-efficient vehicles to use HOV facilities regardless of occupancy.

Prior to this pilot program, the HOV lanes were reserved for use by vehicles with two or more occupants, buses and motorcycles during peak travel hours - weekdays from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. At any other time, the LIE/HOV lanes are open to all traffic.

Based on certain federal emission and fuel economy standards, eligible vehicles include:

• Toyota Prius Hybrid, model year 2004 - 2010
    • Honda Civic Hybrid, model year 2006 - 2010
    • Honda FCX Clarity, model year 2008 - 2010
    • Tesla Roadster, model year 2008 - 2010
    • Mini Cooper Mini E, model year 2008
    • Honda Insight Hybrid (automatic transmission only), model year 2005 - 2006
    • Honda Insight Hybrid, model year 2000 - 2004
    • Toyota RAV4 EV, model year 2000 - 2003
    • Chevrolet S10 Electric, model year 1997 - 1998"
    EDIT: In the FAQ section of the NY Clean Pass site, it gives this explanation of why the 2010 Insight doesn't qualify:

"**Note - Honda Insight - model year 2010 does not meet the criteria because it does not meet the fuel economy."

17. Bababooey

Bababooey Horse Toothed Jackass

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Although I live in Nassau County and frequently use the HOV lanes on the Long Island Expressway, I make frequent trips to Staten Island on the Staten Island Expressway.

I can't understand why the same rules allowing vehicles with Clean Pass stickers to drive in the HOV lanes of the Long Island Expressway with only one passenger don't also apply to the Staten Island Expressway (and other highways with HOV lanes throughout New York State).

I was thinking of contacting the appropriate state officials (State Senators and Assembly Members) who might be in a position to change the rules allowing cars with Clean Pass stickers to drive in the HOV lanes of other highways in the state, including the Staten Island Expressway.

Is anybody interested in helping me in my quest to expand the Clean Pass Program to highways outside of Long Island?

18. Bababooey

Bababooey Horse Toothed Jackass

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a copy of an email which I just sent to the AAA, the NYS DOT, and some local politicians, both here in Long Island and in Staten Island :

--------------------------------------------------

To: [email protected]
    CC: [email protected],
    [email protected],
    [email protected],
    [email protected],
    [email protected],
    [email protected],
    [email protected],
    [email protected]

Date: Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    Subject: Expanding the New York State Clean Pass Program

Dear Mr. McBride,

In addition to being a member of AAA New York, I am also a Prius owner who takes advantage of New York State's Clean Pass Program, which allows eligible hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles to travel in the HOV lanes of the Long Island Expressway with only one passenger.

I came across your name while reading the February 25, 2010 minutes of the New York State Department of Transportation Managed Use Lanes (MUL) Study Project Review Committee Meeting. At that meeting, Will Calves of AECOM Transportation stated that he believes that the Clean Pass Program should be expanded to permit single occupant hybrid and other energy efficient vehicles to use the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in New York City.

I would like to express my complete support of Mr. Calves' position, and I hope that the AAA shares this support. I frequently travel to Staten Island to visit my elderly mother, and I am frustrated that I am unable to drive in the HOV lanes of the Staten Island Expressway despite the fact that I drive an eligible hybrid vehicle which is enrolled in the Clean Pass program. I believe that New York's Clean Pass Program should be expanded to include all of the highways and parkways in the state which utilize high occupancy vehicle lanes.

Sincerely,
    Bababooey

cc: Peter King - New York State Department of Transportation - Region 11
    Kemp Hannon - New York State Senate - 6th District
    David G. McDonough - New York State Assembly - 19th District
    Matthew Titone - New York State Assembly - 61st District
    Lou Tobacco - New York State Assembly - 62nd District
    Michael Cusick - New York State Assembly - 63rd District
    Diane J. Savino - New York State Senate - 23rd District
    Andrew J. Lanza - New York State Senate - 24th District

19. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe because the Prius gets 10mpg better? Maybe because the Prius gas engine isn't on 100% of the time like in the insight? I got a bag full of these...

hell, there are non-hybrids that get the gas mileage of an insight.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And in the U.S., those models are _____???