1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NYT & MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mac2gul, Jul 31, 2005.

1. mac2gul

mac2gul New Member

NY Times, Sunday 7/31, reports on experiences with Lexus 400H and
    Toyota Highlander. Reporters took longish trips with both and report
    that mileage hardly matches the non-hybrid versions. They aren't worth
    the price premium; the only justification could be better emissions
    control.
    A very negative article. Suggests that Toyota's search for the green
    may not be the green we've all been thinking of.

2. AM TI Don

AM TI Don New Member

Negative? But, is it true?
    Owner of a 2005 Prius, Pkg. 3

3. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd believe it. Their mileage results with the Prius at 42MPG is close to what I get.

I would have been very interested in buying either a 400H or potentially a Sienna Hybrid should it be sold, but not without a significant difference in fuel economy.

Toyota is going to end up doing a lot of damage to the Hybrid market by releasing vehicles that don't show much, if any, improvement in fuel economy...or at the very least leave the door open to a competitor to steal that market.

Overall, I thought the NYT's articles today were fair and from what I've heard accurate.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The lack of current competition/understanding/awareness allows the press to establish false impressions, just like the article today attempted. As Prius enthusiasts, we know very well that HSD can be configured in a variety of different ways. Those against the success of Prius will try to give you the impression that isn't possible. Don't fall for those diversionary articles.

Camry-Hybrid could easily be configured like Highlander-Hybrid, using a generous 6-cylinder engine. But instead the debut model next year will come with a modest 4-cylinder engine instead. Emphasis will be placed more on efficiency than power. People won't be expecting that. They'll just assume it is a muscle hybrid like Accord-Hybrid.

In fact, did you notice how the writer suggested just getting a 4-cylinder non-hybrid instead? He lead you to believe that it wasn't possible to have a hybrid model that way, that Toyota was stuck with this configuration now.

It's sad that this type of ruse is taking place, but not surprising. Keep driving your Prius and sharing the data with anyone who asks about it. People will slowly begin to realize that not all hybrids are the same, that some really do provide a greater benefit that others.

5. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

The article was fair and balanced and it did chastise Toyota for taking advance of the "green" reputation of Prius to sell other hybrids that are not "green" at all. The article was flattering to the Prius throughout, making comparisons between Prius and the other Toyota hybrids. The one-before-last paragraph stated:
    "I hope Toyota continues to pursue the worthy cause of developing vehicles that push the limits of automotive technology in the quest for better fuel economy, as it has with the Prius."

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced