1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama Invades Pakistan!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did not comment yesterday on Obama's plan to invade Pakistan in order to defeat al-Qaeda and those that killed the 3,000 Americans on 9/11. He said he would do so after withdrawing from Iraq. The reason I did not comment on it yesterday was that he left me in a state of shock and disbelief. It is my opinion that he himself withdraw from the Presidential campaign immediately - he obviously has little or no concept of foreign policy, of military strategy, or geopolitics.

Here are a few of my reasons why:

1. How does he invade a sovereign country without that countries permission?
    2. Pakistan's mountain ranges where the bad guys are located are some of the most vast and inhospitable in the world.
    3. Pakistan HAS NUCLEAR WEAPONS - they could use them if they want to.
    4. Imagine all the local tribes there rallying against us - talk about creating NEW enemies and terrorists
    5. How do you supply such a force? The logistics are virtually IMPOSSIBLE
    6. The current Pakistani President would be toast, and you would invite more radical elements to take over - and then they would have their fingers on the nuclear trigger!
    7. Pakistan has a real military - now you would be fighting them and all the tribes and the terrorists.
    8. What a magnet that would be for the "bad guys" who currently enjoy going to Iraq to aid their cause.
    9. How would he propose supplying our forces in Afghanistan when Pakistan stops the flow of supplies there?
    10. Currently Pakistan is a FRIENDLY state - he proposes invading a friendly state - WOW!
    11. US troops moral - our troops are tired, have been engaged in conflict for years, have had to serve multiple tours of duty. Our equipment is used, and tired. What does he think that withdrawing from Iraq and then invading Pakistan will do to our forces moral, and the strain it will put on the military in general?
    12. Pakistan is a Muslim country of 170,000,000 people - does he realize this? How many troops is he planning on having over there and for how long.

Obama should immediately sit down and shut up. It is obvious that he is NOT prepared to be CIC. It is obvious that he advisor's are also woefully inadequate. This scares me to death as it should EVERY American.

2. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]489172[/snapback]</div>
    Small correction: Pakistan is a country that is currently ruled by a friendly dictator. If you would walk there on the streets as an American, I think you would soon figure out that the country itself isn't very friendly to you...

Sooner or later, fundamentalists will take over the government there. And, as you remarked correctly, they have the bomb. Personally, I think that this is the likeliest and quickest scenario to create a fundamentalist government with nuclear weapons. Before Iran.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's put his statement in context, shall we:

"I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges," Obama said. "But let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. ... If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf will not act, we will."

Note some key things in there... "actionable intelligence, high-value terrorists, and Musharraf will not act. 3 key components. This is a statement that puts pressure on Musharraf to act.

Now, let's juxtapose those comments against what Bush did.... 1)No actionable intelligence indicating terrorists, 2)Ok, a high-value target...but the only lynch-pin holding together the 3 major sects in Iraq.

So, it's not as if his plan is to go after Pakistani infrastructure, or to take over the government, or to install an American made puppet government/democracy. It would be limited strikes against specific terrorist targets...you know, the ones you live in daily fear of and claim you want to protect our country against....the very same that Bush won't escalate efforts against in Afganistan or apply pressure to Musharraf to take action against in Pakistan.

No, I'm not a fan of the idea of initiating an uninvited attack within the borders of Pakistan, and I don't think it's something that Obama would do without exhausting diplomatic efforts and political pressure to get Musharraf to do himself or to offer an invite for the US to work with the Paki govt. first.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Aug 2 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]489189[/snapback]</div>
    You could be correct. Please respond to my posts point - What are your views on Obama given this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]489194[/snapback]</div>
    In the end, he advocated invading Pakistan. Your thoughts please... Mine.... he is absolutely NUTS. If he gets elected we all better buy some pot. iodine, body armor, and prii. This guy is DANGEROUS.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me add a little more:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politic...ewsbreaking-hed

A national intelligence assessment recently made public concluded that Al Qaeda is reconstituting itself in the remote region of Pakistan and gaining strength, including setting up training camps.

If Musharref fails to act through the gentle diplomatic efforts the Bush admin is attempting to use (not a bad initial tactic mind you) what would you suggest be done? Protect Musharref's unstable position while Al Qaeda grows and strengthens within the borders of his country? Tell me what you think the proper action would be?

Again, by the initial quote in my post above Obama did not say that the only course of action he was considering was invasion, but that was a viable option if Musharref wouldn't/couldn't act b/c of his tenuous position as leader of Pakistan.

The Bush administration has followed a delicate strategy in Pakistan. The White House has prodded Musharraf, a key ally in the struggle against the Taliban, to take stronger steps against terrorist havens while also taking care not to undermine a leader who maintains a tenuous hold on power and faces an internal challenge from Islamic fundamentalists.

Events this summer have underscored Musharraf's shaky position. An attempt by the Pakistani president to dismiss the Supreme Court chief justice stirred violent riots and moved the court's full membership to overrule the president in a politically damaging rebuff. Islamic fundamentalists took control of the capital city's Red Mosque until they were ousted through a bloody military raid. That raid in turn prompted a series of suicide bombings against the Pakistani government.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, how typical of the schoolyard bully mentality which rules the Neocons.

Billy Pakistan beat you up and stole your lunch money. So you turn around and beat up little Bobby Iraq who was just standing there minding his own business.

Actually, the reason neocons don't want to invade Pakistan have nothing to do with the list in the first post; they don't want to invade because Pakistan has people who have and will hurt America, and neocons, as has been proven time and time again, HATE America. "And the enemy of our enemy is our friend" is their mentality (which is why neocons in the past gave so money to the Taliban and Saddam Hussein).

Why DO Republicans hate America so much?

Personally, I'm against invading Pakistan (since I'm all pacifist and everything), but if you HAVE to invade a country, you might as well invade one that makes sense to invade (ie, not a country whose name starts with an "I").

7. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]489172[/snapback]</div>
    I can't believe this. Obama was my guy.

He "SAID" he was anti-war.
    He "SAID" he was against going into Iraq from the beginning.
    He "SAID" he would not drag us into a war without knowing the exit stategy.

Now he "SAYS" he would invade Pakistan. Wth

I really thought he was different. I really thought that he would bring change. But no, he is just another politician. I can no longer support him. He has lost my vote.

As a true liberal. I must find a true liberal candidate. I hope Nader runs again. I said in the last election "True liberals vote Nader"

It looks like the only candidate that is truely anti-war is Kucinich. As of now I am switching to Kucinich.

8. RAMbler

RAMbler New Member

I do not agree with invading Pakistan either. But criticizing Obama for having little to no foreign policy acumen is like the pot calling the kettle black for Bushies.

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And people he is not talking about invasion. He is finally submitting that we go after the people actually responsible for attacking us. Pakistan as our "ally" should have no problem allowing the US to enter for surgical strikes to take out terrorists. What Bush promised to do but insted opted for invasion of the wrong country.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RAMbler @ Aug 2 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]489215[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you.

As Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) said, It sounds like the vision of a freshman Senator. Or, possibly, a Texas governor with no foreign policy experience.

How could you vote for Obama - it would be like voting for Bush?

Obama sure has a big mouth and a foot large enough to fit it. Question is, can he get it out or does he choke on it. He is a rank amateur and does not belong even near the Oval Office.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He didn't say he would invade Pakistan in the sense that the US invaded Iraq with a goal of unseating the existing gov't, taking control of the military, etc. It would be to attack specific high value terrorist targets.

Obama never said he'd never go to war. He never said he'd sit back and let terrorists grow in strength and power. Yea, if you're looking for a complete anti-war pacifist you better look elsewhere. I want a President who will selectively go to war as a last resort once every diplomatic effort has been exhausted but before American and Americans are at imminent risk.

What do you think "actionable intelligence" is?

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Aug 2 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]489223[/snapback]</div>
    Are you serious.

How do you propose we go get the bad guys in Pakistan? All thousands of them? Sounds like Obama wants to INVADE a larger, more dangerous, Muslim country - one that has NUCLEAR weapons. Obama is completely out of his league - he should sit down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]489227[/snapback]</div>
    HE IS STILL INVADING A SOVEREIGN COUNTRY! And how do you go get the bad guys - all thousands of them? JEEZ. You think air strikes work :lol:

Tell me, does he invade Iran too?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]489227[/snapback]</div>
    Obama wants al-Qaeda gone. Where are they now?

"No. 2 leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, says that Iraq is "the place of greatest struggle" against the U.S." (August 02, 2007, Obama's Foreign Vision Is Exciting -- And Also Naive
    By Mort Kondracke)

al-Qaeda is in Iraq. How many of them and their leaders have we killed and captured to date.

My brain hurts.... Obama. sit down - get some more experience - do something - but STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM THE OVAL OFFICE.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]489229[/snapback]</div>
    Ok Dr. B, your fanatacism is showing.
    I asked above and asked again, but I'll spell it out and ask your opinion of what should be done.

Given (per quotes above):
    Growing power and numbers of Al Queda in Pakistan including training camps.
    Musharref in tenuous position--essentially a puppet-- as leader due to muslim fundementalists keeping him reined in.

Presume:
    Diplomatic efforts to get Pakistan to take strong action against said terrorist camps, groups, targets.

Plan:
    ?? Is it your suggestion that we sit back idlely and let Al Queda grow in power...perhaps to take over power in Pakistan along with it's nuclear weapons and materials? Remember the Taliban in Afganistan?

Yes they have nuclear weapons, but they have absolutely NO MEANS of delivering it anywhere near the US.

So tell me, with the facts I've carefully laid out so as to not confuse you, what is it you think is the proper course of action?

14. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm fully aware that no matter what I say here, the trolls will continue to proclaim that "Obama invades Pakistan!".

For those who don't pay close attention to what the candidates actually say, and stumble across this discussion accidentally, please be aware that Obama has not invaded Pakistan. Furthermore, please be aware that Obama has not declared that if elected President we would invade Pakistan. For that matter, in the quote being discussed here, Obama didn't say anything about invading Pakistan or any other country at all.

Obama said that he would act on actionable intelligence about high value terrorist targets if the leader of Pakistan would not.

When it comes to international politics, there are a great many ways to "act on actionable intelligence". Unfortunately the current administration of the executive branch of government in the United States of America, as well as a few of the anti-Obama trouble makers here, don't seem to be aware of any way to act on actionable intelligence other than invasion.

15. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I disagree with the blank statement that he is proposing to invade Pakistan. Afterall the currently held foreign policy is "if you don't do it, we will come in and do it for you" making very, very clear that a military option is ALWAYS on the table. See Iran.

Yup he is young, youth and passion for an ideal are commonly found together. Who can fault him for trying to focus the war on terror back on the terrorists? Will he make mistakes, yuppers. Will he rule the country entirely by himself should he be elected? Absolutely not. There will be other, more sage advisers and stake holders in his administration who will advise him on foreign policy and other matters (gasp!)

Now why is it that we look for a leader who can do everything? I don't get it. Okay looky here: the president of my company doesn't know the first thing about programming, deliveries, QA, support, etc. Yet he is running the company successfully and we are making profit (for once) A leader attracts and challenges people to join his ranks. A leader surrounds himself with those who can (hopefully) make decisions in areas where he knows little. A leader is usually well spoken, charming and can carry the company line to the rest of industry with style and conviction. A leader embodies the vision that will rally a country to its feet to create a better future. Idealistic? Sure, but anything but striving for the ideal is selling your efforts short, is it not?

None of the presidential candidates have shown nothing but the ol' "I can fix this and I can do that and I will do this.." line. I find the lack of admission that the job cannot be done by one man or woman alone, disturbing.

16. RAMbler

RAMbler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 2 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]489225[/snapback]</div>
    dbermanmd,

I didn't say I was voting for him but was simply implying that it is unfair to criticize him without criticizing our current president who arguably has the worst foreign policy record of any president.

However, if it were a race of Obama vs. Bush (hypothetically of course), I would most certainly vote for Obama. The 2 are clearly not equivalent in terms of vote for vote.

17. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Aug 2 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]489239[/snapback]</div>
    So if you don't support Hussein you are a troublemaker?

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Aug 2 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]489244[/snapback]</div>
    He didn't say that, but if you make neocon-like spin like that you are.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Give war a chance!
    ....Oh wait, that was a different thread about a different country that doesn't house Osama.

Bomb Iran! Oh wait...that was another different thread about a different "soveriegn country".

I think this is the first time I've seen Dr. B argue against an aggressive act towards Muslims EVER.

I now have an answer to the Iran problem. "Billary" should advocate attacking Iran! Dr. B. and the neocon's hate ANY idea that comes out of the mouths of Hillary, Obama, etc. so much that they will instantly say it's a terrible idea and take it off the table.

How dare Obama have opinions! He should be BANNED from running for office! Hillary too. I don't like her so she shouldn't be allowed to run.

20. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Aug 2 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]489244[/snapback]</div>
    No but if you claim "Obama Invades Pakistan" (which he hasn't), or if you claim that Obama said he would invade Pakistan (which he didn't), then you are a troublemaker.

For that matter, I went and looked back at the original speech to see exactly what Obama actually said about Pakistan. There was one line about acting on actionable intelligence. Here is what he said about Pakistan with the line about the actionable intelligence removed:

“As President, I would make the hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. military aid to Pakistan conditional, and I would make our conditions clear: Pakistan must make substantial progress in closing down the training camps, evicting foreign fighters, and preventing the Taliban from using Pakistan as a staging area for attacks in Afghanistan.

“I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges. But let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. It was a terrible mistake to fail to act when we had a chance to take out an al Qaeda leadership meeting in 2005. (Single comment about actionable intellegence removed here)

“And Pakistan needs more than F-16s to combat extremism. As the Pakistani government increases investment in secular education to counter radical madrasas, my Administration will increase America’s commitment. We must help Pakistan invest in the provinces along the Afghan border, so that the extremists’ program of hate is met with one of hope. And we must not turn a blind eye to elections that are neither free nor fair — our goal is not simply an ally in Pakistan, it is a democratic ally.â€

Does that really sound like someone who is planning on invading Pakistan? Sounds more like someone who is planning on cooperating with Pakistan and encouraging them to cooperate with us.