1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama under Secret Service protection.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, May 3, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What took the racist so long to raise the level of hate and threat to the level that the Secret Service had to step in? Maybe we are wearing them out? :p

Wildkow

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We got a report from someone who thought this was inappropriately racist.

Not to put words in Kow's mouth, but I think all he was trying to say is that, in his opinion, that Obama got SS protection assigned earlier in a campaign than anyone else ever has due to, at least in part, potential threats from racist extremists. I do not think he intended to say that he encouraged the racists.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 3 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]435087[/snapback]</div>
    What!?! LOL! Or maybe that someone thought I was being racist towards the racist? It could happen. :rolleyes: Good grief "Political Correctness" run amuck. I'd love to hear the explanation as to why that someone thought it was racist?
    Wildkow

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It was probably misread as you calling Obama a racist (at least, thats how i first read it before i said Kow wouldn't do that!)

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I sent the inappropriate post message. I don't think it was intentional, but gramatically speaking it does say that "Obama is a racist and that we are wearing him out".

:)

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 3 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]435101[/snapback]</div>

That is what I thought then figured.

Kow posts some weird stuff but he doesn't usually promote hate.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 3 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]435092[/snapback]</div>
    The post was grammatically poorly written and thus easily misunderstood....you were not clear that it was necessary for Obama to have SS protection b/c the racist extremists might be threatening him (Obama)...the post is very poorly and unclearly written.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks pretty obvious to me kow's calling Obama a racist. No surprises there. From Wildkow, I mean.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 3 2007, 04:44 PM) [snapback]435105[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmm,

1) Obama is black, a race historically discriminated against by racist.
    2) Obama announces Presidential run 2-3 months ago.
    3) The Secret Service protects the President and Presidental canadiates
    4) Obama gets Secret Service protection becuse of increased threats.
    5) I make a comment about the protection and ask what took the racist so long to raise the level of hate and threats so that the Secret Service had to do something.

My grammar led you to the conclusion that I was accusing Obama of being a racist? Come on guys, that's as lame an excuse as I have ever heard. There is nothing grammitically wrong or vague with that sentence that would lead someone to read it as Obama is a racist. You're POV and my POV differ so this is simply an opportunity to take a shot at me. Nice try though, a bit of politics being played here? I love it! :lol:

Wildkow

10. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I don’t care for Obama but him needing to be protected because of his race. That speak volumes about our country and I am un-happy about it. imho we do have racist here on the forum and from some of the threads here I can say some are not just mild but major racist. It saddens me to think we still judge a man by his race and not his actions.

11. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 3 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]435151[/snapback]</div>
    Well, yes there is a grammatic problem, a big one, that I bolded for you - you throughout all your posts refer to racists (plural) in the singular. Thus it appears you are calling a single individual a racist, and the only single individual in your posts is Obama. Had you said racists (plural) I think some of the doubt about what you were saying wouldn't have come up.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 3 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]435158[/snapback]</div>
    That is why I took it the way I did but the word itself is kinda tricky because I'm not sure if it was used incorrectly without the plural (s) or not.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 3 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]435158[/snapback]</div>
    Mark beat me to it. I presume Kow was refering to racists (plural) threatening Obama. But his use of the singular made me wonder if I had missed a news item about some one individual racist making a threat, and we were supposed to know who that was. The confusion was heightened because of his consistent use of the singular, making it seem that it was unlikely to be a typo.

A bit of grammar education can avoid many misunderstandings. :)

There are a few racists who post here, but Kow, in my opinion, is not one of them.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perhaps, Kow, in the future you will more carefully choose your thread subject wording. That way, there will most likely not be more than a dozen posts debating the misinterpretation of your thread.

So far, I've yet to see a post actually discussing the validity or invalidity of the SS guarding B Hussein.

15. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The way this country is today, they all should be under SS protection.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, Wildkow, I was not intending to launch any personal attacks. Maybe it's just my perspective, or our perceived differences, but your posts generally don't come across as being full of love, hope, and compassion for your fellow man. To be perfectly honest, most of the time I have no idea where you're coming from.

As for Obama being under guard, it would seem standard procedure for someone in his position. Race (he's not human?) shouldn't have anything to do with it.

17. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ May 3 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]435187[/snapback]</div>
    I honestly thought they all got Secret Service protection, at least while they're in large groups/gatherings. I couldn't imagine being in one of those convention centers or gatherings with thousands of people and not have some form of formal protection from the Secret Service.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Historically SS protection was only granted to the last couple of serious contenders for their party's nomination...and usually not for several more months.

It was often used as a sign to show the public how important they are and sort of moves them into an elite category.

What I read about Obama was that this very early SS protection was instituted b/c of the extremely large number of people who've been attending his rallies, not b/c of any threats from racists.

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 3 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]435035[/snapback]</div>
    "Wildkow makes a grammatical error. What took the racist so long? What took the racist so long to finally make a grammatical error such that people of proper grammar had to step in and correct it? Maybe we are just being to grammatically picky?"

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just heard them say that there had been some racist chatter online as well...and Obama had asked for protection.