1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama's Foot in Mouth Disease, or

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why Obama is not ready for prime time:

"Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama came under fire Tuesday for saying that U.S. troops in Afghanistan are "just air-raiding villages and killing civilians." The junior senator from Illinois made the comment Monday at a campaign stop in Nashua, New Hampshire.

"We've got to get the job done there," he said of Afghanistan. "And that requires us to have enough troops so that we're not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous pressure over there."

So help me here - he would invade Pakistan without getting permission to hunt down al-Qaeda, he wants to withdraw in defeat from iraq, and now claims US Forces are "just air-raiding villages and killing civilian" - boy does he know how to get the support of the military - wont he make a great commander in chief - a strategist of the highest order - a seasoned veteran. Outside of his speech at the Democratic convention in '04 how else would he have been recognized??????

And hillary is now sealing all her white house records until after the election in '08 - the democratic supply of presidential timber is sure termite infested.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    source and context please...

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCWJvRxVJ4&a%0Amp

Is that worse than dubya making fun of looking for WMDs? You think the 3000 dead soldiers' families thought it was funny? I'll bet you think it was funny. That's your type of humor, right? The neocon humor?

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]495488[/snapback]</div>
    my it's easy to poke holes in the opposition... how about posting something positive about your candidate(s) of choice? Let people come back and poke holes in them too.

While it may not have been said in a politically correct manor, what he said is important.

In context, he was asked about what he thought about pulling troops out of Iraq to fight terrorism elsewhere. during his reply, he was simply attempting to show how important these troops could be elsewhere in the world.

Terrorism isn't something you can always fight with planes and bombs. The terrorists hide among populations of civilians, where planes dropping bombs does more harm than good. In places like those where there are known terrorists, it can be beneficial to have boots on the ground. At least, more beneficial that having troops fighting in the middle of another countries civil war.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]495488[/snapback]</div>
    That's some nice spin. Considering that Obama "isn't ready for prime time" he sure is getting a lot of prime time coverage isn't he?

How about this. Senator Obama realizes that the only way to succeed in Afghanistan, the original and primary battlefield of the "war on terror" is to have enough troops to clear and occupy territory. That will never happen with the current level of troops. So to do this he would move troops from Iraqi civil war and move them to Afghanistan. Remember Afghanistan, the county that harbored the terrorist group that attacked us on 9/11?

The only way the US is going to leave Iraqi is in defeat, it is only a matter of timing.

I have a question for you. You seem to spend a lot of time posting your personal spin on comments made by Democratic presidential candidates. Shouldn't you instead be posting all the good ideas that the Republican candidates are proposing? Haven't they had any good ideas except for Gulliani's idea for the federal government to pay for the wealthy's health care premiums through tax rebates?

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 14 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]495504[/snapback]</div>
    not poking holes in Obama - these are major defects in his data base, his operating system, his thought processes.

you can try to explain them away - but i think most americans, and i mean registered democratic americans are coming to the realization that at this point he is dangerous to be even close to the oval office - much less sitting in it.

and by the way, your explanations were really humorous - like you cant shoot at the terrorists if they are hiding amongst civilians - dont kill the bad guys if they hide behind a skirt or two - so how do you propose to kill them? Invade Pakistan :lol: i know, you dont kill them, you leave them alone to kill you :lol:

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]495523[/snapback]</div>
    You're kidding, right. A few akwardly worded comments while the intent is clear does not even come close to suggesting a problem with his thought processes....if it did Bush would've been declared brain dead before the first elections!! :lol:

Yes, the wording could have been more perfect, but only someone looking for something to be critical of would be so obtuse as to miss his intent.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 14 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]495517[/snapback]</div>
    Criticism, negativity and personal attacks is what NeoCons do.

Put berman on ignore. Life becomes much more pleasant.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 14 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]495517[/snapback]</div>
    You are such the optimist - you must have been a joy to be around in 1941, 1942, 1943! Vietnam must have been a bag of laughs for you. Does it take an American defeat to make you happy? Seems the iraq war is going pretty well now - you must be very depressed.

And please continue backing - not ready for prime time B. Hussein Obama - he needs you more than ever - seems that most dems are abandoning ship as quick as they can. if he keeps sticking his feet in his mouth you will find that campaign center a very lonely place - at least you will have a lot of snacks to choose from.

Repub candidates - i like rudy, i like huckleberry, and i like bloomberg, and i like lieberman :lol:

and lastly, prime time coverage is not always a good thing - ask michael vick - he's getting a lot of coverage today too :lol: difference is, vick was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth - oops - i mean vick might even admit he made a mistake :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 14 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]495533[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, I will probably have more people reading my comments soon than obama if he continues at this pace.

how about trying to comment on what he said - on the record - on tape - you dont find that disgusting - repugnant??? ignore that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 14 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]495532[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever my good doctor. awkward comments - you are funny. he makes Bush look like an orator of the first order. more importantly - Bush actually won two national elections more than obama - who has won..... NONE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 14 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]495494[/snapback]</div>
    i dont know, is obama a neocon - he wants to INVADE PAKISTAN to kill terrorists - he thinks we are killing civilians willy nilly. funny is watching the dems squirm as the iraq war turns in our favor - honoring the sacrifice of those american soldiers who gave all - who obama accuses of killing civilians - jeeez - obama sit the freak down - you embarrass even democrats who are flocking to hillary (think of that).

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]495523[/snapback]</div>
    You can shoot them, sure... but it's pretty hard to drop a bomb from a plane and only take out the terrorists and not the elementary school next door.

I've said it before and i'll said it again. conversing with people is a three step process:
    step 1: read
    step 2: comprehend
    step 3: reply

You've got step 3 down, occasionally do step 1, but step 2 seems to be rather absent from your posts...

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 14 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]495533[/snapback]</div>
    Flip / Flop Criticism, negativity and personal attacks is what Liberals do..

Oh pot to kettle.. ;)

Hmmm do a search of past topics and see who can stand in their glass house and cast stones... :rolleyes:

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 14 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]495573[/snapback]</div>
    now that you have 1. READ what obama said, and you now, 2. COMPREHEND what he said, please 3. reply to what he said....

14. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]495534[/snapback]</div>
    I would call myself a realist. There is no way 150K Americans are going to hold together a country comprised of 3 rival groups that hate each other with two of those factions in an open civil war and one looking to form it's own country. It might have turned out differently if we had gone in with 500K to 750K troops like the military leaders wanted to but that would just be guessing. We will never know what would have happened if the Bush administration had listened to the military.

Yes I am depressed. Every day more Americans and Iraqis die in a continuing cycle of violence. The Iraqi politicians are no closer to forming any type of government than they were 18 months ago, and large portions of the country are under the control of local militias. The population has less access to medical care, food, water, electricity and sanitation than before the invasion. There is a lot to be depressed about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]495534[/snapback]</div>
    You seem to think that I'm a supporter of Senator Obama. I'm not, at least not at this point. I still haven't decided between Obama, Clinton, or Edwards. I also haven't decided yet who would be the best pick among the Republicans though I would most likely go for McCain as I voted for him back in 2000. I haven't even decided whether to register as a Democrat or Republican now that I have moved to Alabama.

P.S. Your continued reference to Senator Obama by his middle and last names is beyond childish and smacks of racism.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 14 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]495617[/snapback]</div>
    Now I am a racist?

Is that not name calling? or when you make snide destructive innuendos or remarks that places a person in a position to defend themselves against slander thats ok?

your comment smacks of lots of things like ________ - i will let you fill in the blank since you are so good at it, probably from experience. i find people usually resort to tactics like that when they are in an obvious position of weakness and have no other recourse but to pull out the race card or something similar. what other tricks do you resort to from experience?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please Dr. B, you are well aware of the implications of your intentional choice to use the "Hussein Obama" instead of the typical Barrack Obama as is the custom in our country for addressing an individual. If you want to show due respect you could say Mr. Obama. But you choose, instead, to choose a more petty means of slander by consistantly using his middle and last names b/c of the similarities to "Osama" and Saddam. Don't insult us by claiming otherwise.

While racism may be a little stretch here he did not call you a racist, but the use of the two names of non-typical US origin in a juvenile sladerous way could certainly be considered to be a bit marginally racist implication with the current state of affairs in our country and the general feelings of people of middle Eastern descent.

Please Dr. B, you are well aware of the implications of your intentional choice to use the "Hussein Obama" instead of the typical Barrack Obama as is the custom in our country for addressing an individual. If you want to show due respect you could say Mr. Obama. But you choose, instead, to choose a more petty means of slander by consistantly using his middle and last names b/c of the similarities to "Osama" and Saddam. Don't insult us by claiming otherwise.

While racism may be a little stretch here he did not call you a racist, but the use of the two names of non-typical US origin in a juvenile sladerous way could certainly be considered to be a bit marginally racist implication with the current state of affairs in our country and the general feelings of people of middle Eastern descent.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

18. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/14/...-Fact-Check.php
    THE FACT CHECK:

A check of the facts shows that Western forces have been killing civilians at a faster rate than the insurgents have been killing civilians.

The U.S. and NATO say they do not have civilian casualty figures, but The Associated Press has been keeping count based on figures from Afghan and international officials. Tracking civilian deaths is a difficult task because they often occur in remote and dangerous areas that are difficult to reach and verify.

As of Aug. 1, the AP count shows that while militants killed 231 civilians in attacks in 2007, Western forces killed 286. Another 20 were killed in crossfire that can't be attributed to one party.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai expressed his concern about the civilian deaths during a meeting last week with President George W. Bush.

Bush said he understands the agony that Afghans feel over the loss of innocent lives and that he is doing everything he can to protect them. He said the Taliban are using civilians as human shields and have no regard for their lives.

"The president rightly expressed his concerns about civilian casualty," Bush said of Karzai. "And I assured him that we share those concerns."

19. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

mojo, thanks for that post. Clearly Berman's little temper tantrum is just that and nothing more. Fortunately we here with more brains than him know better.

Obama is my favorite for this election. I believe he has by far the most potential to clean up the horrible mess made over the last 7 years by the current administration. He's also a very intelligent man who has a long resume of getting things done. Highly recommend to all to read and/or listen to the audiobook of his "Dreams of My Father" book he wrote 10+ years ago before he got into public office. It is very revealing of who Obama is and the tremendous potential he has to be the best president this country has seen in the past 100 years.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 14 2007, 05:59 PM) [snapback]495632[/snapback]</div>
    no he did not call me a racist, he said it "smacks of racism" - how would you interpret that?

by citing Mr Obama by his given name seems ok by me. my definition of slander does not include using a persons given name - how is that slander? and then you yourself accuse me of possibly being "marginally racist" - holy cow batman - birds of the same feather. and then you try to close your case by saying, "dont insult us by claiming otherwise" - sounds like the global warming chicken littles who say the "debate is over" on global warming. jeez - batman, there are sure lots of jokers here.

How do you feel when people refer to President George Bush as: Bushitler and other obviously derogatory terms that are obviously not his given name?

and i have heard many people be called by their middle name or initial like "W" for President Bush's middle name, or George Walker Bush or George herbert walker bush or william jefferson clinton or hillary rodham clinton, franklin delano rosevelt, john quincy adams, etc, etc.... so candidates middle names are pretty common territory here in this country - why should Senator Obama's middle name be off limits - why should there be any sensitivity to it - is it something you or he is ashamed of? obviously he cares less, he could have changed it long ago - he has known for a long long time he wanted to run for public office - he obviously has more security about his middle name than you do of it. Why?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Aug 14 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]495654[/snapback]</div>
    better than clinton :lol:

how smart is it to root for a guy who wont even be nominated :D

i guess its as smart as rooting for a guy who wants to invade a nuclear armed country of 170,000,000 Muslims and start a real war :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.