1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obama's running

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Jan 18, 2007.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 18 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]377363[/snapback]</div>
    Good. We can now measure how far charm and good looks take you in American politics. Wonder how Hillary feels about this one. I still think that the Democratic presidential timber is mighty thin.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 18 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]377371[/snapback]</div>
    Did you think that way when The Great Communicator was running?

Obama seems at least as qualified as GWB was in '00. Of course, that's not saying much.

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 18 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]377376[/snapback]</div>
    Obama has not run a string of failed oil businesses or gotten cushy jobs through family influence, so George definately has him beat in those categories. We can at least assume Obama reads books, given his ability to write two bestsellers. To counter his lack of resume he does have the advantage of being on record against the war in Iraq since before it began. If the midterms were any indication, electing a candidate who will take us out of Iraq might well be the big issue of 2008, an issue on which Obama has an advantage over Hillary or McCain.

He ability to speak intelligently off the cuff without sounding pompous sure don't hurt either.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah that guy is soooooo intelligent that's why he smokes filtered and not unfiltered cigarettes.
    Oh Boy! I can't wait to have someone this smart in office. [attachmentid=6257]

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 18 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]377380[/snapback]</div>
    Obama has no experience as an executive whatsoever. If he is against the war then why does he not oppose the recent build up?

Wildkow

Attached Files:

6. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 18 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]377517[/snapback]</div>
    Frankly, executive experience doesn't count for so much for me given the dismal record of our current CEO, er, I mean president. If he'd been a CEO, he'd have been fired. :p Obama does oppose the build-up:

Barack Obama: Escalation Is Not the Answer 12/28
    Submitted by BuzzFlash on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 9:57am. News Releases
    NEWS RELEASE

As the New Year approaches, we are told that the President is considering the deployment of tens of thousands of additional troops to Iraq in the desperate hope of subduing the burgeoning civil war there.

This is a chilling prospect that threatens to compound the tragic mistakes he has already made over the last four years...
    As I said more than a month ago, while some have proposed escalating this war by adding thousands of more troops, there is little reason to believe that this will achieve these results either. It's not clear that these troop levels are sustainable for a significant period of time, and according to our commanders on the ground, adding American forces will only relieve the Iraqis from doing more on their own. Moreover, without a coherent strategy or better cooperation from the Iraqis, we would only be putting more of our soldiers in the crossfire of a civil war.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yeah, it's all about ethics and character and family values.....unless a Democrat is running. Then it's about experience.

Or the other way around. Whatever the Republicans are touting, that's their attack against the opponent.

Sometimes I think it would be healthy for this country to outlaw all competitive sports and games of all types. We obviously are sorely lacking in the cooperation department. The last thing we need is to reinforce our weaknesses.

Lack of experience? Good. He hasn't been corrupted beyond redemption yet.

What does Barack have? Gee....COMMON SENSE. That will get my vote.

Why don't we list the books each candidate has written and the sales number? He who sells the most copies wins.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like him a lot, he does lack experience but that may not be a bad thing overall. He's young and charismatic, he might be able to get people excited about the presidency again.

He's going to go far, and he has people excited in a way I don't think we've seen since JFK.

I'm excited, we've got some good people running this time from both parties and we've got a LOT of issues to debate. It should be an interesting election.

9. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jan 19 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]377599[/snapback]</div>
    I like Obama too and would vote for him in a heartbeat. But I don't think any of the white good ole boys in the 4/5th of the middle of USA would vote for any non-white person, or a woman. Sad to say, but true.

Dave

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They'll vote for a Black man before they'll vote for a White woman.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 18 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]377591[/snapback]</div>
    Ethics, character and values all come from experience.

COMMON SENSE! :lol: He's a cigarette smoker! Please explain to me how that is an example of common sense? The reason you all like him so much is because you know nothing about him. He's a blank slate you can put any face on that you want.

Wildkow

p.s. Now watch how the media spins the smoking thing into a benefit or how it helps Obama’s run in 08.

12. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 18 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]377517[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 19 2007, 04:35 AM) [snapback]377637[/snapback]</div>
    Well, now we know the second thing the right wing will hammer Obama on. First and foremost will be inexperience. The second will be smoking. :rolleyes:

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 18 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]377363[/snapback]</div>
    Barak Hussein Obama is doing the obvious - the wind behind his back will never be stronger.

He has NO record in the Senate.
    He has answered no serious questions in a debate forum.
    We have no idea what he has accomplished except being born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
    He has admitted to doing cocaine?? Yes
    He has admitted to inhaling??

The last two immediately win him the vote of the 60's generation :lol:

He has NO chance of winning - which is a little better than Hillary's chances. Both of them are the Repubs dream candidates.

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 19 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]377641[/snapback]</div>
    And now we know the third prong of the attack ... a middle name of Hussein. :rolleyes:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 19 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]377641[/snapback]</div>
    Define "NO record". Facts are easy to find if you bother to take 5 minutes to look. According to Wikipedia ...
    That would be what the campaign is for, no?

Check Wikipedia again.

Oh dear me. He's tried something illegal and, rather than try to cover it up, he's admitting to it. Honesty ... a rare trait in a public official.

Whether he's electable or not will be for the electorate to decide.

15. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 19 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]377641[/snapback]</div>
    Senate record: In addition to Proco's excellent post above you can find numerous public statements (7 pages worth of links) from Obama at http://www.vote-smart.org/speech.php?can_id=BS030017

Illinois Senatorial debate transcript: http://www.renewamerica.us/archives/media/...0_21debate2.htm

Silver spoon? Maybe you're thinking of GWB.

Drugs? Yeah, he answered honestly. Figure that. An honest answer from a politician on drug use in his youth (from interview/Dreams of my Father):
    "Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man," Obama wrote. "Except the highs hadn't been about that, me trying to prove what a down brother I was. Not by then, anyway. I got high for just the opposite effect, something that could push questions of who I was out of my mind, something that could flatten out the landscape of my heart, blur the edges of my memory. I had discovered that it didn't make any difference whether you smoked reefer in the white classmate's sparkling new van, or in the dorm room of some brother you'd met down at the gym, or on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids who had dropped out of school and now spent most of their time looking for an excuse to brawl. ... You might just be bored, or alone. Everybody was welcome into the club of disaffection."
    "I was a confused kid and was making a bunch of negative choices based on stereotypes of what I thought a tough young man should be," he said of the period depicted in that section of the book. "Those choices were misguided, a serious mistake.
    "Growing up to be a man involves taking responsibility," he said. "By the time I was 20, I was no longer engaged in any of this stuff.
    "A lot of us make mistakes when we're kids. Part of my campaign, I think, is to be as clear and honest about who I am and how I've grown as a person over time."

16. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 19 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]377641[/snapback]</div>
    Come on guys... if you stop feeding his rantings, maybe he'll go away :lol:

There have been multiple threads about Obama, and in each one these same statements have been made, and in each one they've been shot down. It's clear that there are two types of people on this board: those that are only capable of speaking the "party line" and those that are capable of thinking for themselves.

Anyone who doesn't bother to do research before posting clearly lies in the first category. Research would have shown the first three statements to be false, and as for the last two... I'm not sure there's anyone who went through the 60's without doing some type of drug. Contrast him with Bill "I did not inhale" Clinton - one is honest, the other is dishonest and yet the truth comes out anyways.

When you get right down to it, we've had a string of dishonest people in the White House - Bill lied to us about smoking and getting a hummer in office, Dubbya lied to us about Iraq.... it's time for a change.

17. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 19 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]377674[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe. But disinformation should never go unchallenged. If we ignore it, it sits there unchallenged for people on the fence to take as gospel.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 19 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]377674[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't agree with you more.

19. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the cartoon Beryl, that's great.

And eagle, I know what you mean, but like Proco, I pretty much feel like I'm living in The Disinformation Age and hence <strike>get pretty anal and OCD about </strike> ... uh....will occasionally try to provide more accurate info.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He has admitted to doing cocaine? :eek:

Well there you have it. He IS qualified . . .

. . . at least to be mayor of Washington D.C.

Apparently it helps you get reelected there too. :blink: