1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD bulb check failed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lyosha, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Lyosha

Lyosha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello prius chat,

I took my 2004 Prius to a smog check today, and it failed because of "ODB bulb check failed". I am told that check engine light and some others, that are supposed to turn on momentarily when the car starts, are not lighting up.

Is this a blown fuse? I checked "Gauge" and "Panel" fuses in the fuse box, both are OK.

Thanks.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Those are on a separate panel to the right of the speedometer. As per the owners manual, there are numerous other warning lights there too besides the CEL (check engine light) and upon every start up all of those should light up as part of a self test. Are they?

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try putting your car in "IG-ON" mode, by pushing the start button twice with foot off brake. The engine will not start in this mode. Several lights to the right of the speedometer should light up, including the yellow "Check Engine" light (my wife thinks it looks like a faucet). That's the OBD (on board diagnostic) light that's supposed to be on momentarily. If yours doesn't come on, there's a computer or wiring problem. Good job checking those fuses, but that's not it. Someone with Toyota diagnostic software will have to troubleshoot it.

4. Lyosha

Lyosha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    a.jpg Of things I never see it only shows two yellow lights: slip indicator and low temperature.

Anything else I could do before taking it to the shop?

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just for the heck of it, check the EFI (15 Amp) fuse under the hood in the main junction box. If you can pull the fuse and check it with an ohmmeter or continuity tester, that would be better than visual.