1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD II port<->MiniVCI<->OTG cable<->Android Phone<->Suited App

Discussion in 'Prius OBDII Third-Party Apps' started by aaroncv3, Jul 2, 2016.

1. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be getting a MiniVCI interface, and before I go buy an old laptop with WinXP, does anyone know about using the Mini VCI interface as described in the thread topic?

2. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you get a Mini VCI, what you have is a "J2534" dongle, and that's an SAE standard that defines the interface between the dongle and the diagnostic software you're using to talk to it. J2534 defines the whole API in terms of functions in a Windows DLL that the diagnostic software will load. (Yes! Microsoft succeeded in getting the Society of Automotive Engineers to publish a standard that effectively mandates Windows as the OS for all automakers' diagnostic software. I'm guessing there were some corks popped in Redmond that night.)

That complicates using the Mini VCI with any other OS ... you'd basically have to reverse-engineer the Windows DLL driver that's supplied with it, which is the only layer that's defined and documented, and figure out the actual internal protocol it conducts over USB with the dongle. (Who knows, if you're lucky, it could turn out to be serial-to-an-ELM-chip, with a some few extensions for J2534 operations that aren't offered by ELMs. Somebody would have to do the work to find out.)

-Chap

4. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The link is the only one I've come across that claims to work with Windows 10 versus earlier versions of Windows.