1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD Scanner Options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not having any car issues...thankfully. But I'd like to purchase a decent quality OBD scan tool in case I ever do. Spending $30-$40 max is what I'm comfortable with.

Based on the above, can any recommend a SIMPLE, ACCURATE scanner?

Also, as I use an Android device, what is the preferred phone app that pairs/syncs the best with OBD scanners?

Thanks!

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, you can read a good round-up of some of the automotive scan tools in this thread (pinned to the top of the Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion forum) that reviews a selection of Gen2 OBD2 apps.

alftoy likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What do you want to be able to do with a scantool? This is a case where you have to choose- if the budget is absolutely fixed then you can't do much, and it won't be simple. If you can go up to around $60 then there are a couple of good options.

I have looked at a bunch of devices and apps.

(Not recommended but do-able)
    For "cheap" you can get the BAFX Products OBD2 adapter. Then get Dr Prius (free version) to monitor the HV battery. Get OBD Fusion and buy access to just your car. This will get you codes and data on SOME systems on your Prius- BUT - I found the user interface to be slow and confusing. No INF codes, no service functions.

I REALLY recommend going up some.

The Autel Maxiscan AP200 app and device (last check $62) lets you scan ALL systems for codes and data including INF codes/ freezeframe. It also has several service functions- ABS bleeding, TPMS, immobilizer functions and more. For the first car brand, it has no subscription fees. Any additional brands are around $20 per year. AFAIK this device will only work with this app. No datalogging.

Also there is the Mucar BT200 device and app ($56). This one can scan for codes and data on all systems, but no freezeframe or INF codes. It can scan many different car brands with no subscription fees. Also has datalogging. Any service functions are $20 per year per function.

You have to go up further $$ if you want things like bidirectional controls (telling the ecu to turn things on like the fuel pump or radiator fan)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can't really tell what the service functions are . 2 resets free, but they are relatively easy to do without the obdii device, depending on make.

MUCAR BT200 offers lifetime free updates for all manufacture software and 2 free maintenance reset (OIL & SAS) the first year.
    If you need more reset software, you will need to pay for $ 19.95/reset for a year.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You haven't bought an OBD2 reader yet?

This one is $16: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484403768

7. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What apps would he use? Dr Prius is nice but very limited.

8. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's what they show for mucar service functions. Didn't figure the "free" functions were worth much mention. Screenshot_20220804-075948.jpeg

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a decent unit for $60.
    AP200 Advanced Smartphone Vehicle Diagnostics App - Walmart.com

For $30 you will have to buy a bluetooth scanner for that money and then rely on the free apps like Car Scanner and Dr Prius. Both are useful but have no control (bidirectional) and limited Prius specific ecu support for codes. Most live data is available.

D28ED9CF-3762-416C-8517-6BAC41D123A4.jpeg 9ACACE02-C6CC-40FD-A65F-AE7F8AFF61CC.jpeg 79F7EE32-99B3-41B0-A1DE-F1F3C68E8E66.jpeg