1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obd Trouble Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bobwho, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there a site that lists all of the codes for the Prius?

If not then what in the heck does

V0293 mean? V zero two nine three.
    P0A1d that is a P zero A one D?

OBDII Linear Logic read outs. Power on condition from a cold start.

2. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I couldn't find anything on the V0293 code but I was able to find something for the P0a1d code:
    from here http://carmanscan.ru/info/006/ This one sounds a little scary. Hopefully hobbit or galaxee can shed some light on this one?

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    U0293 lost communication with hv ecu
    P0A1D hv ecu malfunction, need inf codes to know more specifically what

4. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the information
    OK so how do I go about getting the inf codes in the future?

Do I need a lan sniffer or just what equiment short of a sledghammer do U use to get this good stuff.

When I got the codes the car locked up with a Christmas tree like effect ALL of the lights came on. I wish I had taken a picture of it. ALL of the gears were engaged according to the display and the car was in slooooow motion forwards. Not even a crawling speed. Imperceptibly slow forwards. It would not shut off nor would it do anything.

The following is a narrative of what went through my mind (well it is what any sensible person would do - run in circles scream and shout.:confused:):

To the scan tool cave and clear the codes - no wait grab a pen! Write them down. Panic! Scream! Shout! My car is broken! On Christmas day! Go to scan clear the codes - it worked. Now what? Shut it off dummy.

Ah it shut off. Whew, now what do I do? What any trained idiot does, turn it on again. The scan gauge reports the same codes but the dash is not lit up this time. OK, codes are the same but no problem, clear the codes again. Did it re-enter the codes out of memory? Who knows. Power off. Power on, no codes no Christmas tree lights on the dash. Back to gauge function, everything is normal. Car moves and drives like normal in the driveway.

Drives normally with no problems, perhaps the scan gauge put noise on the system bus and messed up the system?

I have yet to fire up the car today, um that may be a poor way of putting it. Then again...

5. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds like a trip to the dealer may be in order. What were the conditions associated with this? How long had it set, how cold was it etc.? Let us know if it happens again and how it was resolved if the dealer or you find anything. Good luck.

6. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The outdoor air temp was about 20 degrees F. The code came up on vehicle power up.

The car started up normally and functioned perfectly today.

The only difference in what I did was I touched the cable to the scan tool on power up. Perhaps there was a static discharge that confused the system. Insensate low level static discharge is known to cause strange symptoms in computers although most systems are supposed to be "protected" from these effects.

Take it to the dealer? What for? To be told that I should wait for it to happen again and not reset it? Right. This was on Christmas day when everyone is gone. Murphy will wait for that setup to have this happen to me again. New Years day is my best estimate for the evil to strike again.

Just try to get help on that day! I would have to have the car towed into the dealer in order to get any more information out of it or find out how to get the INF codes out of the machine. Only with this information can the problem be resolved. The best Prius tech on the forums has asked for me to get the codes. I am duty bound to get those codes. Please pass me the electronic sledge hammer and I will pound the codes out of the system if and when it happens again.

Extensive search of these forums turned up the following:

Service Bulletin Num : 0522 Date of Bulletin: OCT 01, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number: 10017678
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Summary:
    SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN (SSC) - 50P TO REPROGRAM THE ECM SYSTEM WHICH MAY CAUSE SOME OR ALL OF THE WARNING LIGHTS TO ILLUMINATE: MASTER, HYBRID SYSTEM, ENGINE, VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL, AND BRAKE. *TT
    Make : TOYOTA Model : PRIUS Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.

This looks more or less like what happened to me. Too bad my vehicle is out of warranty. *&^*&^(&*&%*&)*_

12/27/2007 Still no repeat of the problem. Another day of wondering if it will ever happen again.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    inf codes come from the dealer scantool.

not sure if the scangauge could have caused the issue, there is record of at least one other u code being set by a scangauge. so if it happens again, see if removing the sg helps. if not, take it to the dealer. how many miles/how far out of warranty?

ssc 50p is a recall and not subject to warranty times- it's free.

8. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Feb 19, 2008 and the problem has not raised it's ugly head again.

Very strange, one time problems can be the hardest things to never figure out.

9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    B27a7 came up for key fob. Any ideas?