1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obd2/elm 327 *WIFI*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by uskyrt, Dec 8, 2013.

1. uskyrt

uskyrt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I'm investigating the possibilities of the above on my (uk) Pip. I have a nexus 4 which I'm planning to use with torque but it seems androids have some issues with 2 Bluetooth devices connected at the same time (Pip and the obd2).

Since it seems there are lots of cheap devices available I was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions about a wifi device connected with Android, pros and cons, models, any info really.

Also... I haven't checked where the actual port is on the Pip but I'm slightly worried it can be in the way of my legs. Any thought?

Thanks a lot!

Nexus 4

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What Android issues have you heard of? I've never had a lick of trouble using mine.

I highly suspect it is the Bluetooth ODB-II reader that has actually been the source of trouble, especially since there are quite a number of reports for the Torque app saying to be aware of that device. Some are clearly better than others.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I concur with "john1701a" replay

4. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never seemed to have a problem with Torque running and BT audio to the deck at the same time.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to throw in an answer to your question about the OBDII Elm327 WiFi device. I have one that I use with my iPad and Engine Link. The OBDII port is well out of the way of my legs and never a problem. The OBDII port is about 1/2 way down the steering column and a little to the left.

6. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any recommendations for a particular elm module? They seem to be all over the place in regards to reviews and quality. I would like to use/install the torque app and run via bluetooth or wifi.

7. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice find on the LX ($69) version. I have been leery about the generic quality, but the MX version ($99) was a bit steep. It looks like we won't miss any features as the MX only adds compatibility for some GM and Ford cars. Is that correct?

9. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a personal experience with OBDLink LX. Sorry about that.

10. Enthalpy

Enthalpy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For some retarded reason I can't post links. *facepalm* Go to the scantool OBDLink MX web page and scroll down about 1/2 way and there's a chart that compares the features of the LX and MX.