1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obervervations on Sat radio and GPS

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jgilliam1955, Jul 2, 2013.

1. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As a new owner I noticed a lot that I love but would like to talk about the GPS and Sat radio.
    At first I was frustrated with the gps. So much I keep my Garmin in the car. But I havent used my Garmin. The gps does have a learning curve. I like it now. I use Bing with it which helps. When searching with the gps only it seems to limit itself to the zipcode area. It could still be me. I have taken several weekend trips and use it a lot. I have to put in the city or zipcode to complete a search.

As for the Sat radio it is frustrating! I used a portabla car one for years. Never had a reception problem. Always good sound. Now I lose the signel going down a highway, not a secondary secondary road but a highway with trees on both sides sides of the road.
    Is this because it XM? I end up playing my own songs or going to FM. In the open no problem. I may cancel my service if it does not improve.

2. thymara

thymara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I complained to my dealer about the maps being out of date for my area. The dealer said that maps were updated once per year and that I should complain directly to Toyota as Toyota listens to their customers more than their dealers. I have portable Garmin and TomTom units that are updated, for free, 4 times per year.

I lose the XM signal when I am close to trees or buildings higher than 2 stories and that impede the view to the south. Given that I used to have an XM radio with an antenna attached to the front windshield and did not have problems I believe the issue is the Toyota antenna.

3. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Good points you bring up.

SCH-I535 ? 2

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I've used my factory NAV very little. So far, no complaints. I love satellite radio and have been a continuous subscriber since 1993. I've had signal loss in every car since. I can only remember one signal loss in five months with my Prius. I assume the satellite antenna is integrated with the AM-FM roof antenna on the Prius. For those switching to the shark fin antenna, I would anticipate reception problems.