1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observation: Hypermilers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Corwyn, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to share an observation I have made during my time here. It came when I tried to classify... hypermilers.

Ok, sorry for the gartuitous Matrix quote. But have noticed that Hypermilers tend to react differently to a given situation. Take some dubious technique or product, it is examined and tested by all the great people here. Final result, it might increase MPG by 0.7, but it takes some driving concentration or alternatively, some reasonably cheap modification to the car. Then we see two responses:
    1) Meh, it's just not worth it (for me).
    2) That's great; I will try it.

I have seen this on probably a dozen different things on this forum. The second response is almost universally the hypermilers, people getting 70-100 MPG. The reason lies in a bit of multiplication, a dozen improvements of a measly 0.7 MPG is a total of 8.4 MPG.

It is the attitude that sets them apart. Take those miniscule advantages and keep adding them up. We are given very few chances to improve in life which are huge, obvious, no-brainer changes. Most things are tiny. barely noticeable improvements, but if one passes them up, one never improves at all.

2 people like this.