1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Observations of the PriusChat Community

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tundrwd, Nov 14, 2008.

1. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I joined this online community several months ago, when I first started researching, and then deciding to buy, a Prius. I asked several questions at the beginning, and received very good answers. I've continued to read (and very occasionally add a comment), the various posts on this forum.

I have to say that I've NEVER run across a vehicle forum that's as full of geeks as this one! Please, PLEASE, take that as a compliment! I are one too! I suppose the Prius brings out the geek in many people. Answers to questions are knowledgable, technical and enlightening into this hybrid vehicle. I can honestly say that I don't know that I've been so impressed with the expertise of the participants and contributors to a forum as much as this one. (My REAL job is as a developer/lead/manager on/for Linux systems, with 35+ years experience programming, that's one of the many reasons why I qualify as a geek).

So, thank you for your knowledge and expertise!

However, now to the dark side:

I've had an occurance or two of asking a question, and have seen it from many others, that - due to the technical nature of the vehicle, the contributor's knowledge of a certain area or topic - the answer to the question immediately turns to the technical, and, while it technically answers the question, doesn't really answer the question. Being a technical person myself, I know how it is to "forget what it was like not to know". Many times, I'm asked questions, and I stand there dumbfounded, not really knowing how to answer the question, since I don't remember how to bridge the gap of limited knowledge, to one of a bit more knowledge (I'll contend that no one "knows it all". The day you stop learning is the day you need to be planted 6' or 2m underground).

In other words, many people may find this forum as a way to help them bridge their knowledge in how to make the transition from a "regular" vehicle, to the Prius. Please be mindful of this, and unless you know the poster (from previous posts, etc.), it might be better to make the assumption they are attempting to make the leap, and a simpler answer might be more than sufficient at that time.

Believe me, I've been in more than my share of forae (plural of forum?) where answers come back - "to know recursion, you must first understand recursion". Or, "you are not worthy to ask any question until you've read my 2000 page tome on the subject at hand... (and read the 200 RFCs on the subject)".

But, by all means, where appropriate, please keep the technical answers coming! I enjoy them, and learn from them as well!

Thanks to all for a great forum!

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Addressing that very concern is how the User-Guide came about.

Then that led to other educational documents, like this Full Hybrid.

Patterns emerge from questions and we do our best to answer them, but the repetition is enough to drive members away permanently. The technical details are what keeps them participating. The balance between newbie & jedi is difficult, requiring content to excite both.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm also working on a project that will bridge the gap between layman's guides and technical documentation. Hopefully I'll be ready to launch that by the end of the month.

Thanks for your comments on PriusChat and thanks for being a part of the community!

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Many of the posters take a quick peek at the posting count and when ambiguous, I try to ask a new poster about their 'technical skill level.' But often we lack the visual clues that a fact-to-face that would let us know about the other person's ability to absorb a technical answer.

I don't have a good answer for how to mix introductory and sophisticated users in the same forum. Some sort of "Are you worthy?" quiz when they first post doesn't seem quite right either:

• Please indicate everything you've done in the past:
      • You have a Prius
      • Taken car into a dealer service department
      • Taken car in for non-dealer service
      • Pumped own gas or changed a tire
      • Changed my own oil, spark plugs or wipers
      • Rebuilt or replaced engine, transmission, carburetor
      • Added instrumentation to running vehicle for curiosity
      • Done technical things in another language
      • Prefer differential equations over filing taxes
    Yes, this could be a start to an "Are you worthy?" quiz. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The -OTHER- "dark side" is how we sometimes get defensive and snap back at posters. It happens, thankfully, not too often.

The cause?
    1. Morons who proclaim they are gurus of automobiles writing on auto sites or commenting on auto video sites total garbage about hybrids in general, and Prius in particular. Some of this is driven by jealousy. Some just total ignorance. Add in those who actually put this nonsense in writing in books such as the "buyers guide" commented in a current topic and sell it to the public. I have even seen owners of "other" hybrids react jealously to Prius and post nonsense. I guess we have to take some of this. When you're on the top of the list re fuel economy you have to expect some to take shots at you. ;)

2. Oil company executives who pay people to post nonsense or just total lies about hybrids in general, and Prius in particular. They seem to think more efficient vehicles will jeopardize their business. Far from it. It will draw their business out over many more years, allowing them to make wonderful profits for longer!

6. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OK, pet peeve time! There are some great threads that start out "on topic" and then take a right turn. At the fork in the road, the poster should open a new thread. It is very discouraging to skip to the end or near-end of a thread to find that the discussion has no relevance to the topic posted. If I see a topic dating back awhile, I like to check out the last few pages to see things appropriate to the current time and the current model of the Prius. I am then forced to start and the beginning and read the whole thing just to see where it goes "off topic."

Any solutions for this?:eek:

7. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, for starters, perhaps Santiago could refrain from posting about a pet peeve about going off topic in a thread about posts being too technical?

It seems that such a post might have been a right turn at the fork in the road?

Seriously though, discussions tend to drift. That's just the nature of a discussion. Sure we could have ridiculously stick moderators who delete any post that isn't spot-on with the original post in the thread, but I suspect that this would get in the way of knowledge, understanding, and the friendly pleasant experience you get from a forum like this.

8. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yeah, that's one frustrating thing. Trying to find an answer, and having to weed through lots of replies that may have some bearing or not. *sigh*

I'd suggest not, but maybe "splitting" posts? I don't recall any forum software I've seen that allows it, but if there was something a moderator could do to take a particular part of the thread and create a different one. However, that takes quite a bit of time on the part of the moderator (or mod3erator), and most moderators I know of don't have lots of time.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We can and do do that at times. But most of the time there's not an abrupt change that makes an easy 'split point'...it tends to be more of thread drift.

This is another good way to use the 'report post' tool. Just hit the little [​IMG] icon and suggest "could you split posts #5, 8,9, & 10 into their own thread?" then we can take a look and see if they can be moved.

But I think you'll find that when you really need an answer 10-15 min of research will turn it up.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The key phrase above is do-do, which is the material at the core of most of my posts. On the others, I just tell the OP to RTFM.
    :D

Tom

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If anyone knows of any internet community as helpful as entertaining as this one (PriusChat in particular, but there are several other good Prius groups), I'd like to know. It seems to me that the Prius internet commuity is unique.

Not without flaws of course, but that is hard to avoid when human beings are involved. Group hug :)