1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

observations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by chuckyjean, Jan 29, 2011.

1. chuckyjean

chuckyjean New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've had my 2005 Prius for 3 months now. My observations regarding fuel economy is, when it is really, really cold, below zero, my car gets in the mid 30's mpg. When it is in the 20's , it goes up to the lower mid 40's. When I let it idle to warm up in the morning, gas mileage goes down. I get better gas mileage going 59 mph on the state highways then going 70 mph on the interstate.

Can't wait until the 50 and 60 degree weather and see what kind of fuel economy I will get.

One thing I have noticed, is that sometimes when I am filling up the tank, the pump will shut off before the fuel tank is filled (which I don't notice until I'm back in the car), why does it do that?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I get better mileage at 61 than 71 as well. Pushing all that air out of the way is hard work. To be honest, I think I get my best mileage at 37, but I would be run over at 37.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-fuel-economy/64296-updated-mpg-vs-mph-chart.html

I am in MS so I never see temps below freezing, but in the summer my MPG goes back down as I run A/C to stay alive.

In North America, the Gen II gas tank has a 'flexible' bladder in it to reduce gas vapors. As it warms up it will be more flexible, and hold more.

3. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your observations seem accurate. I have Gen III so my numbers are a little better.
    Wherebouts in Wisconsin are you from? Most people don't realize that if you're heading west it's a right at Chicago, headed east of course a left.
    Let this group and the car teach you. Your Gen II has a bladder in the fuel tank so fill ups vary. I don't pretend to know the wherefore or the why.
    Welcome:welcome:

4. chuckyjean

chuckyjean New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in Central WI, about 20 miles of Wisconsin Rapids. So you are in Green Bay. Go Pack Go all the way to the SuperBowl!. Oh wait, they already did that. LOL. I bet Green Bay was a Ghost Town last Sunday and probably again next Sunday.