1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obtaining Service elsewhere

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NJ Dave, Jan 2, 2005.

1. NJ Dave

NJ Dave New Member

I have a deposit with a dealer for an 05 Prius, but if he cannot get one in time (before my current VW lease expires), I am considering aggressively looking to find one at other dealerships.

If I do buy one elsewhere, and take it to the closest dealer (who has my deposit) in the future for routine or other maintenance, that should not present any warranty issues should it? only potential political issues with the salesperson...

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Dave

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It should present no problem at all taking your Prius to any Toyota dealer in the country. I take mine to a dealer much closer to my home than where I bought it with no problem. The service departments seem to operate rather independently from sales. They don't care where you bought the car as long as you bring it to them.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with jkash, should be no problem at all. I cancelled my deal with my local dealer and got my deposit back when I found one in West Va. and take my Prius to my local dealer for service with no problems at all.

4. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I bought mine at a dealer about 120 miles from my home, because the local dealer had a waiting list of almost a year. I took it in for an oil change a couple of weeks ago and asked how long I had to wait - told them about 3 months, and told the service rep why I bought it elsewhere. They did the work and treated me great. Should it require any warranty work, I don't doubt that they will treat me the same.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got mine 700 miles from home, in Helena MT, where my son lives. He found it for me and I waited just short of 6 weeks. I got my local deposit back and the local dealer is ok (still a few questions as to wether the service folks know what they are doing but that is another story). There is a special 800 number if you have problems. Toyota wants us Prius owners to say nice things about HSD and the Prius as they are moving the HSD to there other models. They have a great deal invested in this program and want it to work. I have not read anything about people having problems. The local folks are selling them as fast as they get them and I would guess the long waiting lists are pain for them as well as us. In the long term one more Prius around town is good for business once the supply catches up. With the advent of the HSD Lexus and Highlander some pressure will be taken off of the Prius. If I had been given the choice of the three I would have still chosen the Prius as I wanted a smaller car for day to day. I still have The Beast for hauling stuff, off road and towing but it is too much car for day to day use.

6. ThetaSigma99

ThetaSigma99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NJ Dave\";p=\"60996)</div>
    As a random side note, you can extend your VW lease on a month-by-month basis for up to 6 months if you need to. I actually am just finishing up on my VW lease, and am due to get my Prius sometime this month, but VW did tell me about the lease extension option when I called because I initially was concerned about the Prius not arriving in time.

Regards,

Doug

7. NJ Dave

NJ Dave New Member

Thanks to all for your quick and thorough replies!

The salesman phoned this morning to offer a red Prius but that is definitely a no-go color for us, so to speak!

Dave.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I cancelled with my local dealer when one in NH got a car first. I had to take it to the local for state inspection. No problem. Then I got a letter in the mail from the local thanking me for buying my Prius from them!

Hopefully the service techs aren't as clueless/sloppy with their record keeping !! :)