1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Obtaining Toyota amplifier schematics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chucka, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know the part number for the stock "Component Amplifier" in the (JBL Nav based) Prius? Does anyone know who is the manufacturer and how one would find a schematic for this unit?

2. charliep

charliep Junior Member

I have the electrical wiring diagram book. It has the wiring for the whole car. It does not show the internal workings of the AMP but does show how it is wired to the audio system.

Charlie

3. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was hoping to get a schematic to see if it would be possible to disable the amplifier portion of the electronics and just feed the output of the AVI-LAN controlled audio (front and rear - Left and right) as a line level output signal to feed an external amplifier.

I am also curious how the tweeter outputs are processed/produced inside of this box. Is there an actual digital crossover or just a filtered analog signal feeding the drivers for the tweeters? What crossover frequency? How much tweeter power?

5. SynergyGuy

SynergyGuy New Member

I thought about that too. There are a few test terminals in one of the long ends of the JBL amp circuit. I don't have an ocsilloscope, but maybe brosnan can help us here and see if probably a couple of those test signals correspond to the analog post-processed signals before they hit the power amps.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chucka\";p=\"80234)</div>
    Everything seems to indicate that the crossovers are digital, however, when looking at the power amp stages they seem to differ on few components, so there's still a change of analog filtering right on the power amp ICs.
    There are four power amp ICs: one for front woofer speakers, one for fron tweeters, one for rear speakers (both woofers and tweeters) and lastly one for the center speaker (only one channel is used there).

6. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems very likely you could grab the analog signals right before the power amps and rewire them to go directly to the output (for external amplification). This would have all the filtering operations in the DSP already done, which likely does include the crossover function. So if you suspect the sound quality is being messed up in the DSP (rather than the output amps), it might not be helpful.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Isn't the goal to get AVC control of the signal BEFORE digital processing? I don't think the power amps were the problem, but rather the digital signal processing, which is what AVC uses to control the signal.

8. Chucka

Chucka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agree

I am stretching to find how to get a usable analog signal out of the amplifier box. (I prefer the other solutions we are talking about).

Chuck

9. getwellsam

getwellsam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. getwellsam

getwellsam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. getwellsam

getwellsam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. getwellsam

getwellsam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  13. getwellsam

getwellsam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    youre theman now dog

14. getwellsam

getwellsam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While informative, unfortunately it's only the electrical "Block Diagram".
    Getting a schematic, much less a full Service Manual out of some manufactures is like pulling teeth! I have been doing board level maintenance for the last 40 years. We were always sent to a Manufacturers Training session, which included a full set of Service Manuals! Now, you get the line, "Oh sorry, that's proprietary information". You have to pull teeth to get info!
    If you ever find a actual schematic, I would love a copy!