1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ODBII Scanner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FL_Prius_Driver, Jul 15, 2007.

1. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What ODB II scanner (and why) would someone recommend for reading Toyotas? I have decided no more going to the dealer for a check engine light (without me knowing what the code is). The internet has made obscure codes tractable. It will not take many "dealer diagnostic" charges to make this a true investment. I fully understand that the only thing standardized is emission control codes. The real question is there something that has some of the Prius codes figured out or is the THHT the only thing that does this. Optionally, is there a scanner that can be tapped/modified to read specific modes (like getting the three digit information codes associated with the DTC)?

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OBDII codes are agnostic (i.e. all automakers use the same codes), so just about any scanner should work as long as it is compatible with the transfer protocol of your vehicle. You can pick one up on eBay for less that $50 that is compatible with all of the transfer protocols.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but *interpretation* of the manufacturer-specific codes is an
    entirely different issue, as are being able to read realtime data
    from the various ECUs and do some of the bi-directional "activation"
    tests that are pretty much needed if you're doing your own wrenching.
    For that, you're looking at significantly more money -- but not
    necessarily the $4K or whatever for the OEM Mastertech, since several
    of the aftermarket "generalist" scantool makers are slowly coming
    up to speed on the hybrid specific stuff. Autoenginuity claims to
    have it 100% although that's not quite correct; various offerings
    from OTC and Snap-on and the like might be getting close by now.
    Some of them are going to be aimed at the professional independent
    tech market, with ability to read many different vehicles in depth
    because you never know what's going to show up in the bay today.
    But most of the generic readers will still be able to pull codes by
    numeric value, even if they don't know what it means -- then you can
    look those up in the service manuals.
    _H*

4. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the info. Now I have a start point. I'm thinking long term here so I am willing to spend a few more $$ than average to account for future hybrids (or better!)

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Doesn't Kragen scan your car for free now?

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Of course you could buy a "Scangauge II" from the shop at Priuschat.com. It will read codes and let you reset them. It will also display four of about 20 parameters while you drive. And it has a "trip" function. A little more expensive than some, but I find more useful. Mine displays:

fuel consumption (l/hr)---------------------------12V battery voltage
    Engine RPM----------------------------------------Coolant temperature

It will not display the CAN messages (most of the hybrid component values are CAN such as battery SOC, voltage, current, etc.). It will do most of what any OBDII reader will do. I don't think you will currently find an effective reader that will also do CAN. Maybe soon?

That's it on the right above the on/off switch.

[attachmentid=9809]

Attached Files:

7. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jul 17 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]480225[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to do this, but it's the Camry engine check light that broke the camel's back. Paying $50 to "tighten the gas cap" woke me up to get off my rear. (Imagine an auto mechanic explaining this to his work crew. I have to keep this a secret from those around me.) So the focus is on a true OBD II reader that can handle what car I will get in the future....and I do not know what comes after the Prius is yesterdays marvel.

Still, thanks for the great advice.

8. Tekmann

Tekmann New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So what scantools did you get and how are they going.

It would be great if you post your experiences, especially the Autoenginuity unit..

Tekmann

9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What ODB II scanner (and why) would someone recommend for reading Toyotas?

I bought the scangauge II, advertised here on priuschat and have been very pleased.
    I do keep a prius Haynes auto repair manual under the seat to look up any codes that may occur. The scangauge gives instant readings of the engine temperature , 12 volt reading and other variables I have programmed into the gauge. The car basically has one big idiot light for a warning , my biggest complaint about the car.

It will not display the CAN messages (most of the hybrid component values are CAN such as battery SOC, voltage, current, etc.).

They can be programmed in to the latest scangauge with Xgauge feature.
    scan gauge site
    ScanGaugeII - Add-A-Gauge

my possibly favorite priuschat link which allowed me to monitor some of these components like battery SOC voltage etc.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...77-updated-list-gen-ii-xgauges-scangauge.html

I want to promote the gas gauge programming line. Numerous people complain about the pips for the fuel gauge, watching this in the scan gauge gives me confidence the tank actually has fuel. I have never run out, and I have pushed it some. Curious if anyone who is willing to run the tank dry will report back the relation with this scan gauge reading.
    copy of gas gauge programming instruction.
    Gas Gauge 05AC 010582A40000 1808 006400040000 gas xx.x % full

10. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Go to Advance auto parts or Autozone. You get it scanned free..... or they let you do it. You can clear it then also.