1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd beeping sound at start up when cold

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tbirdtony, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Tbirdtony

Tbirdtony New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I own a 2008 Prius which I purchased new. It has 15K miles. It is always garaged. When I start the car on cold mornings (50 degrees in the garage) I hear a beep or chirp type of noise that is coming from the engine compartment near or around the inverter. It only lasts a few seconds (maybe 2 or 3 beep like noises) and there are no further beeps unless the car is started again in a cold environment. Any idea what this may be? I know if I take it to the Toyota dealer they will not hear the noise since it only happens when the car is cold. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sounds like it could be the brake "bark", though my 09 typically doesn't do it until <30 degF (others have reported it at higher temps), and it is reproducible away from startup.

If you search for brake bark on this site, you'll get some more info. It is not a safety issue.

3. Tbirdtony

Tbirdtony New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Politburo,
    I don't think it has anything to do with the brakes. The chirp sound happens when the car is first started in cold weather before I put the car in reverse to back out of the garage. I do have my foot on the brake when I start the car but the car is not moving when this sound is made. Do you still think it is brake bark?

4. Chromedragon

Chromedragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    if its the same thing that i am experiencing i hear what i can describe as a muffled horn blows. in rapid succession it happens to me after longer runs in the car. I have a 2008 package 5 if that helps any. just randomly sounds like the horn is beeping but its not that loud. so far nothing has happend but it is completely intermittent and random