1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd behavior with Autel MX sensors and the Prius V TPMS

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wrench, Apr 11, 2022.

1. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was wondering if anyone has used the Autel MX sensors in the Prius V (although I suspect any post 2012 Prius is pretty much using the same setup).

After 10 years, my 2012 V's TPMS sensor was firmly lit. Hey, 10 years isn't bad! I looked around and I decided to get Autel because they seemed to have good recommendations and I could 'spoof' the IDs. That meant I didn't have to muck around with Toyota's funky system.

However, I have some odd behavior. The sensors *appear* to be working fine, but as best as I can tell, they don't turn on until the car reaches about 30MPH for maybe 15 seconds. Then the TPMS light goes out. This is definitely a different behavior from when I had the OEM sensors in there. With those, the TPMS would continue to flash, and eventually illuminate for the whole trip.

I was wondering if anyone else has used the Autel MX sensors and experience this same behavior... I can certainly live with this, but I'm still curious.... For what it is worth, I can live with it because the sensors were $25/ea and installation was $40 for the four tires (woo hoo Big O Tires!). The stealer wanted to charge me $125 per sensor, $35 installation for each tire, and then some charge for programming. Honestly, I glazed over the whole programming charge when I did the arithmetic for of $160 a tire. Good God! Come on, Toyota.... That is absurd.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Autel MX TPMS sensors in the winter tires. They were not on the Prius V but were on my Prius Prime. Still should be similar TPMS for all Toyota cars. I cloned the sensor IDs off from the OEM sensors in the all-season tires that came with the car. Brought the cloned sensors and winter tires on wheels to a tire shop to have them install the sensor/valve and remount and rebalance. I did my own tire swap a few weeks later. Since both summer and winter tires were set at the same Psi, I did not even bother to TPMS reset on the car. I never had TPMS warning light lit up on my car all winter long. This is a big change from the last winter when I did not have TPMS sensors in those winter tires.

Before this winter, I was driving without TPMS sensors all winter long. Without TPMS sensors in the winter tires, the car would lit the TPMS warning light solid, but only after ~20min driving from home. The thing is that I had the summer tires with ECU registered OEM TPMS sensors stored in the garage right near where the car is parked. So when I come home, the car would read the TPMS sensor signals from the stored summer tire and turn off the warning light. But every morning, after ~20min from home, the car realizes that it does not have a functioning TPMS and the warning will light solid and stay on until I come home.

I just changed the winter tires back to summer OEM tires/wheels last week. No need to register the TPMS sensor to the car. No TPMS warning light. However, I have not actually tested either on the winter tires or on the OEM tires to see if the TPMS sensors are properly working by letting air out to reduce the psi in the tire. I probably should do that.

In short, if you have the TPMS warning light when you start the car only to turn it off after reaching 30MPH or 15 seconds, then that is different behavior than mine. It is true that the sensor does go to sleep mode after parked and it needs to be pinged by the car to start working again, but I don't get the warning light on mine for that wake-up process. Maybe you should also try letting the air out and see if the TPMS warning will blink or not?

upload_2022-4-11_22-59-48.png

#2 Salamander_King, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  3. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    have used the autel mx in gen2 and autel mx one in prius v, no delay issues with either model and cloned ids

maybe its a weak battery? i get delayed tpms turn off when the battery is weak in the tpms

you can get techstream to check the tpms, there is a tpms battery level