1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd fuel gauge behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by lamontcranston, Nov 9, 2009.

1. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's the skinny:

-Driving home with about 140 miles since fill-up. MFD says about 63mpg, so assuming the normal error, I've used a little over 2 gallons.

-Fuel gauge shows full minus one pip. I would have expected full minus two at this point.

-Then, after a run that was neither strongly uphill nor strongly downhill, the fuel gauge goes up to completely full for about ten minutes.

-Then, it goes down to full minus one for about ten minutes, then full minus two.

-When I got in it this morning it showed full minus three, then after about ten minutes went to full minus two. I drove another 50 miles and it is still at full minus two.

-Distance-to-empty seems to stay consistent through this period.

So, does anyone have an idea? This may be my first tank on "winter blend"... is there a possibility of foaming or something? I don't know if the Prius gas gauge is fed by a float like older car tanks, or is measured by weight, or what.

Should I be worried if this behavior continues? Has anyone else seen this?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius uses a float like most cars. There is also a damping time constant to reduce rapid swinging of the fuel gauge, and also an inclinometer to compensate for grade. I suspect your fuel was sloshing around a bit as you went up and down hill. The distance to empty calculation, on the other hand, is working from calculated remaining fuel.

Tom

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing odd here. Not only does this behavior happen in my Prius, its analog equivalents happened to the gas gauge needle in every previous car I've had.

4. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's simply just not as accurate a device as you want it to be.

5. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd say that's the answer I needed. I'm surprised, I guess, with all the other technological wizardry that they're using an old-school float to do the initial measurement. Oh well, whatever works.

6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To add to the insult, most vehicles are intentionally mis-calibrated so that about 75% of the fuel has been used when the gauge reads half full.