1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd MPG when coasting / regen....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by icharry, Dec 30, 2006.

1. icharry

icharry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok, this is the 2nd time I've noticed it, but I was seeing MPG from 82 to 96 MPG when coasting - blue going from tires to battery. I would have thought it should always be 99.9. The car had been parked all day in the sun, it was 72 degrees out, so I figure it should not take long to warm up... but even after at least 5 min, maybe 10, I was still gettitng these odd numbers. Speed was between 25-50mph on the crowded freeways, I could go forward with just battery - yellow arrows, no orange... then when I take foot off the gas the MPG would move up and down in the low 80 to mid 90 MPG area...

Is the ICE on for some reason? Still warming up? Something wrong?

Thanks.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Probably nothing wrong, probably still warming, or the AC running and the HV battery needed some juice. While 72° F may be warm to you, the engine and catalytic converter are at hundreds of degrees to operate efficiently. Also, at 25-50 MPH on a crowded freeway, you may not be running the ICE as much as you think, so it warms slower.

Here, where it's cooler, it's quite normal to coast at less than 99.9 MPG for up to 20 minutes. I usually get 8 MPG, briefly, going up a half-mile hill first thing in the morning, drive a couple of fairly flat miles, then go down a 3 mile hill and have about 25 MPG after 5 minutes. Then I average aboout 50 MPG on the highway at 55 MPH for the next 20 minutes.

Keep track of your MFD reported MPG for a few tanks of gas. If there's no huge variation, allowing for ethanol in the gas now, nothing is wrong. Winter takes its toll, even in L.A.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with Bill. Nothing wrong. The ICE is on. Sometimes the ICE runs (briefly) when I think it should be off. If that happens when the SOC is high, and my speed is low, I'll kick it into EV mode just long enough to draw down the SOC a little bit.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice avatar icharry. I agree with Bill and Daniel, there is no problem. It is not unusual for the ICE to run and show no arrows. The arrows don't mean it's running they mean it's being used for power to MG1 or the wheels. There is no ICE running indication so if it is running and using fuel it will drop your mileage a little even while coasting.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Be sure you are in D and not B. B tends to leave the ICE running.